Pseudofossil?

ashcraft

Any ideas?  It is made of a black non-magnetic iron mineral.  I was thinking a cast of a septarian nodule........

20171101_140614.jpg

20171101_140603.jpg

ashcraft, brent allen

looks like a marcasite nodule

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

41 minutes ago, ashcraft said:

I was thinking a cast of a septarian nodule

A septarian nodule is a mineralized mud ball that cracked and the voids were filled with other minerals. You can not have a cast of one of them.

I agree with an iron oxide concretion.

But the pictures are a bit blurry which makes it hard to be sure.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

10 hours ago, ynot said:

A septarian nodule is a mineralized mud ball that cracked and the voids were filled with other minerals. You can not have a cast of one of them.

I agree with an iron oxide concretion.

But the pictures are a bit blurry which makes it hard to be sure.

You can have a cast of anything.  If the nodule was covered with another material, and then through chemical action the original material is replaced, viola-a cast.  Is it likely to happen?  No, but this is an unusual specimen.  The symmetry on multiple axes wants me to say organic.........but my analytical part is saying mineral.........I am so confused...........

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

THAT'S IT!

Doing my best Lucy impression, blowing Linus over the piano.......youngsters won't understand

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Terrible quality, I know, but the only one I could find of the actual moment. :D

image.jpeg

Archived