Possible Coral fossil

Erika J Roy

When I was gardening this past summer I lucked out and found a fossil. For years (this garden is over twenty years in the making) I have been pulling shale out of it. This was my first fossil. With the help of some good books on fossils, and this group I have come close to identifying this fossil. It is possibly a coral. I am interested to know what time period this fossil may have come from. I do know that my area of the east end of Toronto used to be an inland sea.

I'm curious to know what it might be, and excited for what next year might have in store for me.

IMG_8424.JPG

Edited by Erika J Roy

Hi Erika!

Welcome to the forum!

I fossil-hunt in the rivers and creeks of west Toronto/east Mississauga, and I have only found one solitary rugose coral so far, so well done!

The rocks around us are Upper Ordovician in age (from 440-460 million years old) and as for the formation that your fossil is from - the exposed rocks around rivers and creeks around here are from the Georgian Bay Formation, so your fossil is likely from that formation, too.

Have a terrific Thursday!

Monica

9 hours ago, Erika J Roy said:

I'm curious to know what it might be, and excited for what next year might have in store for me.

Curiosity is a very important ingredient in becoming a fossil fanatic. Now that you've found your first fossil and (hopefully) been bitten by the fossil bug, you'll find this forum a welcoming place with lots of information on fossils and a great community (some not too far from you). If you are interested in finding more fossils and learning about the fossil formations of your area (as well as other places) spend a little time reading through TFF on the cold winter nights ahead of you and try to plan a fossil excursion with some fossil hunters in your area. You'll have a great time, learn a lot about fossils, and meet some great people this way.

Welcome to the club. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

Nothing much more to add that Ken and others haven't already stated, but do consider joining a rock/gem/fossil club in your area. Not only will you be able to rub elbows with lots of fellow, knowledgeable collectors, but you would be able to go on field trips organized by the club to places that restrict access to only those who are members of a recognized club.

Here is a list of of CCFMS clubs: http://ccfms.ca/Member-Clubs.php

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

You can also look on Facebook for fossil or rock, mineral or artifacts groups in your area that will post recent finds near you.

It is fascinating to see what others are finding nearby. I joined a few groups on Facebook in my area on North Texas as well as the local Paleontological Society, which has field trips to hunt for fossils pretty regularly.

I hope you keep finding cool fossils in your garden.

8 hours ago, Kane said:

Nothing much more to add that Ken and others haven't already stated, but do consider joining a rock/gem/fossil club in your area. Not only will you be able to rub elbows with lots of fellow, knowledgeable collectors, but you would be able to go on field trips organized by the club to places that restrict access to only those who are members of a recognized club.

Here is a list of of CCFMS clubs: http://ccfms.ca/Member-Clubs.php

Hi again @Erika J Roy!

Kane is right - joining a geological society will allow you to participate in "field trips" to locations that aren't always accessible to fossil-hunters.  I'm part of the Niagara Peninsula Geological Society (NPGS) - I paid the annual family fee ($20) and that has allowed me and my daughter to visit Hungry Hollow near Arkona, ON twice this year, and hopefully we'll go again a few times next year.  Penn Dixie is another option - it's a fossil-hunting location just across the border in Buffalo, NY.  You can become a member or you can simply pay an entrance fee to fossil-hunt there when they're open in the spring/summer/fall ($9 USD for adults - that was the rate this year at least). 

If you need anything then feel free to PM me :)

Monica

• I found this Informative 1