Please help me identify

dbarshlomo

Hi,

I found this specimen in a place I usually find ammonites, nautilus and sea shell. I'm not sure what this is, even not if this is actually a fossil...

The matrix, and the outer part of the specimen itself is limestone while its interior is flint. I tried to carefully remove some of the matrix using a cp engraving pen... but the more I uncover it the less I understand what it is I'm looking at... and I'm really curious :-)

I've attached a colleague image with pictures I took from different angles...

Anyone has an idea? I'd like to hear from you!

Thanks...

Fossil_A03b.jpg

I'm fairly confident you have a flint nodule.  The dark chert (flint) interior surrounded by a white crust is typical.

Don

I agree with Don. It's a flint nodule.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Israeli ammonites? That sounds cool! Be sure to post pictures of those sometime!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Well, WhodamanHD, with all those amazing specimens I see around here at TFF, I find it embarrassingly funny to show my super-humble-amateurish collection…
But you asked, so here we go… :-)
These are some of the fossils I found here in Mount Carmel, Israel. But speaking of Israeli fossils, the best area for those are on the other side of the country, at the south, at Mizpe Ramon and generally the Negev Desert…
Cheers!

IMG_2528a.jpg

IMG_2520a.jpg

14 minutes ago, dbarshlomo said:

Well, WhodamanHD, with all those amazing specimens I see around here at TFF, I find it embarrassingly funny to show my super-humble-amateurish collection…
But you asked, so here we go… :-)
These are some of the fossils I found here in Mount Carmel, Israel. But speaking of Israeli fossils, the best area for those are on the other side of the country, at the south, at Mizpe Ramon and generally the Negev Desert…
Cheers!

Those are some very nice finds! Nothing embarrassing about those! Thanks for sharing, I don’t here too much about fossils from over there so it’s a treat to learn a bit about them!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I agree, this is a great start for a collection.  Looking forward to seeing you post more as you add to it.

Archived