FossilDAWG

I'm hoping someone will have a pdf of some fossil shark papers by Gerald Case.  I'm finding that many of his papers are in journals that my university does not have a subscription to. In particular I am trying to identify sharks/rays/fish that I picked from a bucket of Bashi Formation matrix (early Eocene) so the first paper is most useful to me.  However there are others that cover other sites I have collected so I'll go for broke and hope someone has some of these they are willing to share.

Case, G. R. 1994. Fossil fish remains from the late Paleocene Tuscahoma and early Eocene Bashi Formations of Meridian, Lauderdale County, Mississippi. Palaeontographica Abteilung A, 230:97-138.

CAPPETTA, H. & CASE, G.R. (2016)
A Selachian Fauna from the Middle Eocene (Lutetian, Lisbon Formation) of Andalusia, Covington County, Alabama, USA. Palaeontographica, Abt. A, 307 (1–6): 43 – 103

CASE, G.R. & BORODIN, P.D. (2000)
Late Eocene selachians from Irwinton Sand Member of the Barnwell Formation (Jacksonian), WKA mines, Gordon, Wilkinson Country, Georgia. Münchner Geowissenschaftliche Abhandlungen, (A), 39: 5–16, 5 pl., 3 fig., 1 tabl.

A Middle Eocene Selachian Fauna from the Castle Hayne Limestone Formation of Duplin County, North Carolina. Münchner Geowissenschaftliche Abhandlungen, (A), 39: 17–32, 7 pl., 1 fig.

CASE, G.R. (1987)
Borodinopristis schwimmeri, a new ganopristine sawfish from the Upper Blufftown Formation (Campanian) of the Upper Cretaceous of Georgia. Bulletin of the New Jersey Academy of Sciences, 32 (1): 25–33, 6 fig.

Thanks!

Don

Well...I've looked in all of the usual places and I haven't had any success with any of these!  I'll keep looking but I'm afraid that it is going to take somebody who has institutional access to the proper sources.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

If you find pdfs of these I would like a copy. I have asked him for copies of his papers in the past. He doesn't have pdf versions and for many of his publications the publishers would only give him a single printed copy that he is very reluctant to loan out or make copies (making copies would involve laying the publication flat on a printer which would ruin the spine of the publication).

I do have a very poor xerox of his Castle Hayne paper. Too dark to make out any detail of the teeth. 

• I found this Informative 1

On 11/2/2017 at 4:02 PM, FossilDAWG said:

I'm hoping someone will have a pdf of some fossil shark papers by Gerald Case.  I'm finding that many of his papers are in journals that my university does not have a subscription to. In particular I am trying to identify sharks/rays/fish that I picked from a bucket of Bashi Formation matrix (early Eocene) so the first paper is most useful to me.  However there are others that cover other sites I have collected so I'll go for broke and hope someone has some of these they are willing to share.

Case, G. R. 1994. Fossil fish remains from the late Paleocene Tuscahoma and early Eocene Bashi Formations of Meridian, Lauderdale County, Mississippi. Palaeontographica Abteilung A, 230:97-138.

CAPPETTA, H. & CASE, G.R. (2016)
A Selachian Fauna from the Middle Eocene (Lutetian, Lisbon Formation) of Andalusia, Covington County, Alabama, USA. Palaeontographica, Abt. A, 307 (1–6): 43 – 103

Late Eocene selachians from Irwinton Sand Member of the Barnwell Formation (Jacksonian), WKA mines, Gordon, Wilkinson Country, Georgia. Münchner Geowissenschaftliche Abhandlungen, (A), 39: 5–16, 5 pl., 3 fig., 1 tabl.

A Middle Eocene Selachian Fauna from the Castle Hayne Limestone Formation of Duplin County, North Carolina. Münchner Geowissenschaftliche Abhandlungen, (A), 39: 17–32, 7 pl., 1 fig.

CASE, G.R. (1987)
Borodinopristis schwimmeri, a new ganopristine sawfish from the Upper Blufftown Formation (Campanian) of the Upper Cretaceous of Georgia. Bulletin of the New Jersey Academy of Sciences, 32 (1): 25–33, 6 fig.

Thanks!

Don

Hi Don,

Yeah, Palaeontographica is an expensive journal to subscribe to and if you want a back issue you are still looking at a few hundred dollars.  Yes, it's something like $300-400 and you'll have a hard time finding anyone with a PDF.. The USGS library in Menlo Park, CA used to carry a nice run from around 60's to the 90's so I started photocopying any interesting articles back in the 90's such as the one on the Mesaverde and the Tuscahoma/Bashi selachian faunas.  I have that Barnwell article too.  

Unfortunately, a few years ago, the government in all its wisdom decided the USGS didn't need a library so some of it was shipped to the Denver office, some of it was auctioned off, but a lot of it was thrown in the dumpster for recycling.  I'm talking a wealth of references from numerous countries covering many sciences with issues of things like the American Journal of Science going back at least to the mid-19th century.  Few libraries in the US have any kind of run of Palaeontographica but that one did.  I witnessed the  slow clearing of shelves and boxing up of book over a couple of years until early this year when I noticed the library door was now locked and it looked empty in there.  The USGS is scheduled to move to another complex down the highway at some point but without a library.  When I was laid-off a couple of times in the early 90's, I used to spend an afternoon and $10 worth of change and copy all kinds of things that are still not on the web.  It was really sad to see and the librarians were very frustrated.

Anyway, Don, I don't have PDF's nor a scanner but let me know what is coming your way already and I'll can photocopy what I have for you.  About a year before the USGS was getting empty, I recopied some papers, including other Case/Case co-written articles, on a newer copier, making an effort to get nice ones.  It is difficult to copy/scan the issues because they are rather thick but I took my time and am happy with the result.

If I get a chance, I'll take a trip to UC Berkeley or Stanford in the next couple of months.  I don't have that 2016 article either and would like to get it as well.  I thought I had the Borodinopristis article but can't find it in my files (yes, I have a few actual fileboxes full of articles).

Jess

P.S.  Copying the Palaeontographica issues is tricky because the copies tend to come out a little too bright or too dark in spots because their photographer was not as great as they seem to think.  I might have two copies of the same plate to show what is in shadow a little more clearly and another that doesn't wash out the well-lit surface too much.  A friend emailed the publisher several years ago and got some attitude when he commented on the exorbitant price of a back issue.

Unfortunately, a few years ago, the government in all its wisdom decided the USGS didn't need a library so some of it was shipped to the Denver office, some of it was auctioned off, but a lot of it was thrown in the dumpster for recycling.  I'm talking a wealth of references from numerous countries covering many sciences with issues of things like the American Journal of Science going back at least to the mid-19th century.  Few libraries in the US have any kind of run of Palaeontographica but that one did.  I witnessed the  slow clearing of shelves and boxing up of book over a couple of years until early this year when I noticed the library door was now locked and it looked empty in there.  The USGS is scheduled to move to another complex down the highway at some point but without a library.

**emanates heaving sigh**

plahawle1fitarqbracrstPage-S0022336000027062a.jpg

plahawle1fitarqbracrstPage-S0022336000027062a.jpg

And yes,I'm well aware this is NOT the one DON is looking for,but hey,lemon,basket