Ptychodus04

Water Trap Dust Collector

aerogrower

Can you dehydrate and reuse the medium, or just toss it?

Ptychodus04
1 hour ago, aerogrower said:

Can you dehydrate and reuse the medium, or just toss it?

You should be able to recover the medium. Most will remain in your blast cabinet, this just clears the air by collecting the fines. 

My use of abrasion is rather limited (I prefer to scribe as much as possible) so I don’t bother trying to save spent abrasive.

Phevo

Thanks for the plans of the collector, I don't have a micro blaster yet but one day this will hopefully come in handy ;)

I have one question regarding the depth of tubing comming from the cabinet, if I understood correctly then it goes down to just about 50mm above the bottom of the bucket, so while the vacuum is running the air from the cabinet is forced through the water, bubbles up and is then sucked out with the vacuum cleaner ?

Ptychodus04
21 hours ago, Phevo said:

Thanks for the plans of the collector, I don't have a micro blaster yet but one day this will hopefully come in handy ;)

I have one question regarding the depth of tubing comming from the cabinet, if I understood correctly then it goes down to just about 50mm above the bottom of the bucket, so while the vacuum is running the air from the cabinet is forced through the water, bubbles up and is then sucked out with the vacuum cleaner ?

The lengthe of the pipe is dependent on the amount of water you want to keep in the collector. You want to pipe to be a centimeter or so above the surface. You are significantly increasing the velocity of the air by necking the inlet from the 2.5” vac hose to 1.25” pipe. This forces the dust particles to make significant contact with the water, thus trapping the particles before they are drawn out of the top.

This is functionally different than a water bong where the tube is submerged and the dirty air bubbles up. This design requires a container stronger than a paint bucket as the suction of the shop vac can crush the weak walls of the bucket before the air can bubble up.

Phevo
3 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

The lengthe of the pipe is dependent on the amount of water you want to keep in the collector. You want to pipe to be a centimeter or so above the surface. You are significantly increasing the velocity of the air by necking the inlet from the 2.5” vac hose to 1.25” pipe. This forces the dust particles to make significant contact with the water, thus trapping the particles before they are drawn out of the top.

This is functionally different than a water bong where the tube is submerged and the dirty air bubbles up. This design requires a container stronger than a paint bucket as the suction of the shop vac can crush the weak walls of the bucket before the air can bubble up.

Thank you for the clarification

Ptychodus04

:1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76: You’re welcome. FYI, this is a general fine dust collector.  It does not have to go on a cabinet to work. You can simply lay it next to the material you are working on and it will pick up the fine dust.