What is your microscope/air blaster setup?

FossilSloth

I'm ready to take the next step in preparation and start using a microscope. What is your method for using it for prepping? Do you use it outside the sandblasting cabinet, and set it up so it looks through the cabinet's glass? Or no cabinet? If that is the case, how do you protect the microscope optics from the abrasive? 

Also, any recommendations for a starter microscope? $300 or less...

Thanks! 

Congrats on wanting to move up in the world.  You should always always always do your air abrasive work in a cabinet with a dust collector attached.  I know there are guys here who work outdoors... I will leave them to defend that choice.  With a microscope, it must stay outside the cabinet.  I have mine set up to look through an easily removed and changed piece of glass, and the scope is on a boom that can swivel to and fro.  Let me see if I have a picture of my set-up on this computer.... nope.  If I remember I will try to post one from home later.  

Here is ppt presentation I did at an SVP meeting years ago.  Microscope tips start on slide number 32, which is a photo of my system at home, and end with slide number 33.  

http://vertpaleo.org/For-Members/Preparators-Resources/Preparators-Resources-PDF-files/Cavigelli_2007.aspx

I have not bought a microscope in years, my two main requirements (these are not options, they are requirements for my own microscope sandblasting) are get one on a boom, and with a Barlow Lens.  The BL allows you to increase the focus distance so you can roll you specimesn around in the chamber much better and be not too close to the glass top. 

Feel free to ask if you have more questions.

You can order a nice stereo scope from AMScopes and they will also build one to fit your needs at a reasonable price.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I have the same setup currently as JPC. I too have a removable piece of glass that I look through. This way I can clean the glass more readily. I have a box with a cyclone and hepa filter and exhaust outside (not that there is anything that leaves my filter). Even with all of that I also wear a half face respirator with hepa cartidges. Lungs are very susceptible to very fine dust and I know several people that nearly killed themselves due to fine dust inhalation. I built my filter using a bilge pump blower attached to a box I built that holds hepa filters. The filters cost more than the wood for the box and the bilge pump blower.

Here is one I had built. A  7x to 80x stereo variable zoom . Cost about $400 w/o camera. 

I added a 5.2 mp camera. It will fit almost any fossil need.

P1020443.JPG

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

I’ll 2nd @Herb‘s recommendation on AMscope. I picked up a stereo scope on a small boom arm for under $250 on sale.

I mostly prep with scribes so I’m not much use for the abrasive set up. I mostly use it for touch up when I have to. That being said, I’m sorely behind the 8 ball on the cabinet.

I use scribes , Dremel tools, and a vibratory etcher to do most of my prep. work

On 03/11/2017 at 3:53 PM, jpc said:

Congrats on wanting to move up in the world.  You should always always always do your air abrasive work in a cabinet with a dust collector attached.  I know there are guys here who work outdoors... I will leave them to defend that choice.  With a microscope, it must stay outside the cabinet.  I have mine set up to look through an easily removed and changed piece of glass, and the scope is on a boom that can swivel to and fro.  Let me see if I have a picture of my set-up on this computer.... nope.  If I remember I will try to post one from home later.  

Here is ppt presentation I did at an SVP meeting years ago.  Microscope tips start on slide number 32, which is a photo of my system at home, and end with slide number 33.  

http://vertpaleo.org/For-Members/Preparators-Resources/Preparators-Resources-PDF-files/Cavigelli_2007.aspx

I have not bought a microscope in years, my two main requirements (these are not options, they are requirements for my own microscope sandblasting) are get one on a boom, and with a Barlow Lens.  The BL allows you to increase the focus distance so you can roll you specimesn around in the chamber much better and be not too close to the glass top. 

Superb info @jpc, really informative. Thanks for sharing. Bookmarked! :dinothumb:

• 3 months later...
On 11/3/2017 at 8:53 AM, jpc said:

I just came across this post and it is really helpful.  I recommend it be pinned so it is easy to find.  @jpc‘s PowerPoint presentation is a must-read.  There are lots of posts on the subject of air abrasion and they often have conflicting answers.  For example some people like the Paasche AECR with the external powder tank and use it successfully with bicarbonate at up to 80 psi.  Others (including the manufacturer) say it won’t work with dolomite or bicarbonate and can’t be used above 50 psi.  And some people are happy with the cheap blaster from Harbor Freight, others say it is a piece of junk.  I guess I will just have to take a chance, buy something I can afford and twiddle with it until I get it to work.

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 8:53 AM, jpc said:

Hey @jpc, one of the last slides in your presentation shows something called "Waterblasting" but doesn't describe it in any detail.  Is this something that can be useful?  I have an old Waterpik dental flosser that shoots out a pretty strong blast of water, would this work to remove the last traces of matrix from a fossil instead of using air abrasion with bicarb?  Or does waterblasting mean something else?

Hi S-Steve

I have never tried the thing in my slide show, but the reference is right there no the slide.  I also have an old Waterpik in my lab.  I have never used it, but maybe someday.  I imagine it would have a use somewhere in the lab.... 

• 2 weeks later...

I just came across this web page by a professor at Hillsdale College showing how he preps Green River fish from the 18" layer.  He apparently uses the Paasche air eraser with the external tank successfully.  I'd be interested in hearing what you all think about the rest of his prep procedure.  He's a biologist, not a paleontologist, so some of the fish ID's are obsolete, but looks interesting.

http://www.knuckleheadquarters.net/green-river.html

Here's one snip from his page:

Swinehart.JPG.e63c8033356342b48d3d55aa73d0f6d4.JPG

3 hours ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

I just came across this web page by a professor at Hillsdale College showing how he preps Green River fish from the 18" layer.  He apparently uses the Paasche air eraser with the external tank successfully.  I'd be interested in hearing what you all think about the rest of his prep procedure.  He's a biologist, not a paleontologist, so some of the fish ID's are obsolete, but looks interesting.

http://www.knuckleheadquarters.net/green-river.html

Here's one snip from his page:

Swinehart.JPG.e63c8033356342b48d3d55aa73d0f6d4.JPG

The only thing I'd recommend differently is to use PVA or butvar rather than white glue.   White glue ends up peeling off over time and is not as easily reversible. Also, aluminum oxide is too aggressive in most cases for Green River fish (except possibly in the case of RJB's nightmare capstone specimen :) )

I have success with the Paasche Air eraser with remote feed.  As with any set-up, a moisture filter is recommended.  Also, some kind of dust control.  I just bought a Dust Deputy to go on my Shop Vac (otherwise, you'll ruin your vacuum pretty quickly).  I'm thinking about linking two of them.  If you use a vacuum on your blast cabinet, you must have air inlet holes on the cabinet, or it can IMPLODE! :o  I also just added a HEPA air filtering unit to the prep room.

I'm going to build a box with hand holes and glass top to put under a boom-arm microscope for air-scribing.  I've been doing it in the open, leaving matrix debris everywhere.  The box will fix that.

Here's my current set-up (Note: the dirt deputy is not yet hooked up correctly in this photo).  The compressor is on the floor underneath the table below the blast cabinet and not pictured).

20180222_151259.thumb.jpg.2e36ea2be07323d1cca8f08e15123f60.jpg

6 hours ago, Peat Burns said:

The only thing I'd recommend differently is to use PVA or butvar rather than white glue.   White glue ends up peeling off over time and is not as easily reversible. Also, aluminum oxide is too aggressive in most cases for Green River fish (except possibly in the case of RJB's nightmare capstone specimen :) )

I have success with the Paasche Air eraser with remote feed.  As with any set-up, a moisture filter is recommended.  Also, some kind of dust control.  I just bought a Dust Deputy to go on my Shop Vac (otherwise, you'll ruin your vacuum pretty quickly).  I'm thinking about linking two of them.  If you use a vacuum on your blast cabinet, you must have air inlet holes on the cabinet, or it can IMPLODE! :o  I also just added a HEPA air filtering unit to the prep room.

I'm going to build a box with hand holes and glass top to put under a boom-arm microscope for air-scribing.  I've been doing it in the open, leaving matrix debris everywhere.  The box will fix that.

Here's my current set-up (Note: the dirt deputy is not yet hooked up correctly in this photo).  The compressor is on the floor underneath the table below the blast cabinet and not pictured).

20180222_151259.thumb.jpg.2e36ea2be07323d1cca8f08e15123f60.jpg

i like your setup

On 2/23/2018 at 6:24 AM, Phevo said:

i like your setup

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

Very nice right up and presentation. Thanks for sharing and the ideas.

@Peat Burns I really like the way your lab is setup.

Thank you :)

Archived