Is This Metal Disk Natural or Man-Made?

Rank Amateur

I got this as part of an estate. You might notice I've posted a few things from there. Anywhere, I have no idea what this is? Maybe a geologist could hazard a guess. It definitely is a metal of some sort. It has a diameter of 3 inches (7.6 cm). It's thickness is around ⅛" at its thickest point in the center. The edge is sharp enough that this could be used as a weapon in a pinch. I wish I could send you a sidewise photo, too. Notice the shell on the one side. I have another disk like this without the shell. Is this a modern-day man-made creation or was it made by natural forces. Yes, nature sometimes does make fantastic, regular patterns. Could this be one of them? I have no idea on where this came from or  how it got to myself prior to the estate. Thank you for your help.

Metal Disk with Shell #1 Pic1 Front.jpg

Welcome to the forum. 

Intriguing. You do need to provide as many photographs as possible from all sorts of angles. location is also important but I guess if you obtained it/them from a yard sale that would be impossible 

Looks like a pyrite sun, to me. Naturally formed.  :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

It is beautiful whatever it is. I do believe it is naturally occurring and not man made.

I’m not a professional, but I believe it is a crystalline structure of some mineral, but I’m not sure which.

It is not uncommon for fossils to become highly mineralized during the fossilization process.

@ynot May know what it is since he’s into crystals too. 

The color could be partly a lighting issue. He says it is a metal disk so that would help support the pyrite sun idea.

Do you think the object that looks a bit like a scallop or sea shell is a fossil or is it just another layer of crystals type formation? It’s a different color so another layer may not be the case.

@Rank Amateur may we have another picture of at an offset angle?

Maybe if it were on a white or black background the true color might be more easily discernible.

3 minutes ago, KimTexan said:

Do you think the object that looks a bit like a scallop or sea shell is a fossil

Part of the pyrite sun, not a fossil.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

another vote for pyrite sun

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

My vote, natural formation, not an expert on pyrite suns, but I weld and cast metals, I see no hand of man.

natural :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Hi,

In French we tell that "Dollar marcassite" ! A natural mineral but perhaps it is covered with dust or with limestone (in this last case, rub him with an old toothbrush and some water with vinegar by paying attention to the reaction).

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Archived