Rank Amateur

Is This Metal Disk Natural or Man-Made?

Rank Amateur

I got this as part of an estate. You might notice I've posted a few things from there. Anywhere, I have no idea what this is? Maybe a geologist could hazard a guess. It definitely is a metal of some sort. It has a diameter of 3 inches (7.6 cm). It's thickness is around ⅛" at its thickest point in the center. The edge is sharp enough that this could be used as a weapon in a pinch. I wish I could send you a sidewise photo, too. Notice the shell on the one side. I have another disk like this without the shell. Is this a modern-day man-made creation or was it made by natural forces. Yes, nature sometimes does make fantastic, regular patterns. Could this be one of them? I have no idea on where this came from or  how it got to myself prior to the estate. Thank you for your help.

Metal Disk with Shell #1 Pic1 Front.jpg

JohnBrewer

Welcome to the forum. 

Intriguing. You do need to provide as many photographs as possible from all sorts of angles. location is also important but I guess if you obtained it/them from a yard sale that would be impossible 

KimTexan

It is beautiful whatever it is. I do believe it is naturally occurring and not man made.

I’m not a professional, but I believe it is a crystalline structure of some mineral, but I’m not sure which.

It is not uncommon for fossils to become highly mineralized during the fossilization process.

@ynot May know what it is since he’s into crystals too. 

ynot

Looks like a pyrite sun, but the color is wrong.

KimTexan

The color could be partly a lighting issue. He says it is a metal disk so that would help support the pyrite sun idea.

Do you think the object that looks a bit like a scallop or sea shell is a fossil or is it just another layer of crystals type formation? It’s a different color so another layer may not be the case.

@Rank Amateur may we have another picture of at an offset angle?

Maybe if it were on a white or black background the true color might be more easily discernible.

ynot
3 minutes ago, KimTexan said:

Do you think the object that looks a bit like a scallop or sea shell is a fossil

Part of the pyrite sun, not a fossil.

Herb

another vote for pyrite sun

Peace river rat

My vote, natural formation, not an expert on pyrite suns, but I weld and cast metals, I see no hand of man.

GeschWhat

+1 for pyrite sun. I have a few in my collection. I love them. I was told by the old guy sold me mine that they form in coal seams. They can vary in color. The rainbow ones are especially beautiful.

abyssunder

natural :)

Coco

Hi,

In French we tell that "Dollar marcassite" ! A natural mineral but perhaps it is covered with dust or with limestone (in this last case, rub him with an old toothbrush and some water with vinegar by paying attention to the reaction).

Coco