3 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Some very nice finds! I love those isotelus trilos!

Thank you! :D

2 hours ago, crinus said:

HoJoon,

It was a pleasure to introduce you to Ontario fossil collecting and in particular to the worlds best Ordovician collecting area, aka Brechin.  It was also a pleasure to introduce you to a lot of really great fossil collectors.  They make lifelong friends.  You also introduced me to a Korean culture (the bbq was interesting) and to a Toronto I was not aware of.  I had never been in an actual Toronto neighborhood and that was an eye opener.  Sorry Torontonians but I could not live like that.  Houses a foot apart!  Maybe 2 feet. Not for me. I need lots of space.

We will have to try and figure out a way to get you up there again while you are going to school in Burlington, Vermont.  Like I told you, car rentals in the US are cheap.

Here is a link to the world's largest quarry in Roger City Michigan. http://www.greatlakesgazette.com/2013/06/01/wolds-largest-limestone-quarry-is-pure-michigan/  They do come bigger than Bowmanville and that place is not small. 

Just want clarify the area where I was cutting the Prasopora was all Verulam.  I don't think the Prosopora is found in the Bobcaygeon (at least I don't have one from the Bobcaygeon). 

Sorry for cutting you off last night, but it was our fossil group meeting night and I couldn't have Khazad Doom coming on every few seconds.

Joe

Hi Joe,

I'm happy to post this report, finally! :D

And as for yesterday, I'm sorry for interrupting meeting and making you considering Khazad Doom ;)

I'll never forget every moment that I spent here with great people! I also owe you a huge gratitude!:dinothumb:

I'm so glad to hear that you have interests in Korean food(Though it was expensive(two times more than in Korea by 60 bucks for 2 people in Toronto except Tip.) and had a lot of work to eat. I should have introduced other normal cuisine like Pork Bone Soup) :(

When it comes to visiting Bowmanville quarry, probably I'll be there with a rental car for next year! :) And other fossil site in Vermont, I will visit their by my bike and post it! Hopefully find something! :)

In regard to the quarry in Michigan, I can't imagine! That was an epic for me! :trilosurprise:

Finally, I'll change the information of the formation where you found prasopora very soon. Thank you! now it's clear! :D

Again, I really appreciate you for introducing huge and splendid fossil site and other great fossil collectors!:dinothumb:

-Joon

3 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

Great trip report and pictures. Congrats on all of your finds and I especially like the hash plates.

Thank you for saying so! :) That hash plate is good except its weight..

Great finds and awesome pictures :wub:

I have to visit this location(s) anytime !

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

Hi Hojoon, I was one of the collectors that met you at the Brechin and Bowmanville quarries. I'm glad you had such a good time and you were really fortunate to meet some of the most knowledgeable and generous fossil collectors I know.

While you are in Burlington I hope you will be able to go collecting in New York with myself, @Jeffrey P, @Pagurus, @Fossildude19 and others who frequent the quarries in Eastern New York. @Fossildude19 has some sites for fossil fish too!  If you come a little further south into Scranton PA we can find some fossil ferns for you too. ;) I hope to be able to collect with you again and have time to talk to you about Korea. It is a fascinating country.

Dave

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

34 minutes ago, belemniten said:

Great finds and awesome pictures :wub:

I have to visit this location(s) anytime !

Thank you! :D

I strongly suggest you to visit there someday!

33 minutes ago, Shamalama said:

Hi Hojoon, I was one of the collectors that met you at the Brechin and Bowmanville quarries. I'm glad you had such a good time and you were really fortunate to meet some of the most knowledgeable and generous fossil collectors I know.

While you are in Burlington I hope you will be able to go collecting in New York with myself, @Jeffrey P, @Pagurus, @Fossildude19 and others who frequent the quarries in Eastern New York. @Fossildude19 has some sites for fossil fish too!  If you come a little further south into Scranton PA we can find some fossil ferns for you too. ;) I hope to be able to collect with you again and have time to talk to you about Korea. It is a fascinating country.

Dave

Hi Dave!,

Actually, I remember your name! It was great to meet you there. As for other collectors, indeed, I think so too. Here are a lot of knowledgeable and wide-minded collectors who are willingly conveying information! Not only chat with them from here, I think, but it was one of the great fortune in my life to meet @crinus at North America.

In regard to my university life(though it's not started yet ;)), I hope to visit a lot of nice fossil sites in Northeastern America! It must be one of the best experience while I stay in North America! :D     I really appreciate you for having interest in my country! Maybe in this winter, before snow covers all over the eastern side of our country, I look forward to visiting few fossil sites while I getting a Visa before I leave my country again!:dinothumb:

Moreover, I found some fossil sites in Vermont which are accessible by biking(though its distance is almost 18mi(30km) with 269ft(82m) incline). Maybe I could upload some pictures of Vermont trilobite after getting there!

Joon

• 1 year later...

Beautiful report and tremendous photos. 

Very useful to me.:)

I'm so glad you had such a great trip. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

11 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Beautiful report and tremendous photos. 

Very useful to me.:)

I'm so glad you had such a great trip. 

Thank you! :):dinothumb:

30 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Missed out on this. Thanks for the extensive report! I only hope that the site will be open for collecting again on my next trip over.

Well Roger, if you time it right, Bowmanville would be your only hope. The entire Brechin area is now a no-fly zone. JD has officially said no more collecting.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

11 hours ago, Northern Sharks said:

Well Roger, if you time it right, Bowmanville would be your only hope. The entire Brechin area is now a no-fly zone. JD has officially said no more collecting.

What a pity and a shame. Do they at least still allow scientific research excursions?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

11 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Missed out on this. Thanks for the extensive report! I only hope that the site will be open for collecting again on my next trip over.

Thank you! It is unfortunate about Brechin quarry, but I hope you find a better place...

11 hours ago, Northern Sharks said:

Thank you for adding such an important information... It is very sad to hear that...

12 hours ago, Northern Sharks said:

Is there a story behind this, other than "lawyers"?

Don

11 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

Is there a story behind this, other than "lawyers"?

Don

Same old song and dance we've heard too often - liability. It began in April with them wanting to update the waiver that we signed and ended last week with a definitive no from head office. There MAY be a VERY small chance that I can get a group in, similar to what I do for Bowmanville and using the same Club insurance policy, but I would need to get in contact with someone at HQ and try to convince them to allow it. Up until now, it has been a friend of mine dealing with the quarry manager.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Archived