Apoderoceras Ammonite prep advice

Crann

Hi, thought would have a little look/dabble with this as been in a box a while, the top always looked like it would pop straight off, looks like this is the case but spines on the opposite side are still fully in tact but I think the fracture runs straight through, do I "peel" off the top and prep the spines out to add later or attempt to prep around the spines, either way the top will lift off, cheers.

20171104_175359.jpg

1 hour ago, Ludwigia said:

I'd consolidate it with glue and take my time prepping around the spines. An abrader would help once you get close if you have one.

+1. Glue the fire out of it and prep as if it was a solid concretion.

47 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

+1. Glue the fire out of it and prep as if it was a solid concretion.

Used a pva mix around the edge to keep together so nothing pings off.

‘Glue’ is a bit of a generic word imho, sorry to be a pedant. There’s good glue and not so good glue. What glue? I think it’s important for new members who may see this thread to know. I guess you’re talking about Paraloid or Butvar type PVA. Again I do realise I’m being pedantic but, y’know ;)

1 hour ago, JohnBrewer said:

‘Glue’ is a bit of a generic word imho, sorry to be a pedant. There’s good glue and not so good glue. What glue? I think it’s important for new members who may see this thread to know. I guess you’re talking about Paraloid or Butvar type PVA. Again I do realise I’m being pedantic but, y’know ;)

True. If it were me, I would pour a stack (to take a page out of your terminology book) of cyanoacrylate into the crack and then put a few clamps on it for at least 3 days before scribe work begins.

9 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

True. If it were me, I would pour a stack (to take a page out of your terminology book) of cyanoacrylate into the crack and then put a few clamps on it for at least 3 days before scribe work begins.

Yup. That should do the trick.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

2 hours ago, Crann said:

Used a pva mix around the edge to keep together so nothing pings off.

Do you still have an open crack? You can pour some acetone in it to dissolve the bond. Then pour more thin PVA in it and clamp. I always clamp because even thin adhesives like cyanoacrylate will hold the two pieces slightly apart.

3 hours ago, RJB said:

Hi Crann,  is that one of those Apoderoceras ammo's? 

RB

Just guessing here but I would say yes (using context clues such as the title of the post). :P Sorry, couldn’t help myself.

:D I’ve fallen victim to that classic blunder as well.

What amazes me was that i was actually correct!  But I remember a giant one of those posted on Fossil of The Month. 

RB

On 05/11/2017 at 12:24 AM, Ptychodus04 said:

20171111_181351.jpg

20171111_181407.jpg

Had a little go today of trying to get around the spines, so far so good, tricky for sure, will do bit by bit.

1 hour ago, Crann said:

Had a little go today of trying to get around the spines, so far so good, tricky for sure, will do bit by bit.

Oh my! That's gonna be tricky with a scribe. Watch out for those tips!! You wouldn't have access to an air abrader, would you?

1 hour ago, Ludwigia said:

Oh my! That's gonna be tricky with a scribe. Watch out for those tips!! You wouldn't have access to an air abrader, would you?

Air abrader would make complete sense once matrix removed but sadly no and no experience with using them... 

59 minutes ago, Crann said:

Air abrader would make complete sense once matrix removed but sadly no and no experience with using them... 

The idea is to leave just enough matrix around the spines to keep them stable and then use the abrader to remove the rest of it. There's then just a minimal chance of them pinging off since you can adjust the pressure and there are no strong vibrations from the air scribe which could easily cause that to happen once you're down to the last millimeters.

Archived