Cleaned my first fish, looking for input

Fishkeeper

Went to the Fossil Fest in Round Rock, and I came home with a kit to clean off a fossil fish. Though it'd be worth a try. The slab is from Wyoming, about 3" tall and 5" long, and they provided a tool that was really just a paintbrush with a steel nail attached to the other end.

It's a bit beat up. Some of that was me and my inexperience, some of it was already like that. A lot of fin rays were already broken, and I'm pretty sure some of the fins were outright missing their tips even before I got into here. Maybe something nibbled on the edges a bit? 

I'm looking for some advice on how to do better, basically. Most of the skin came off, for one thing. There were especially loose flakes of matrix that looked like I could remove them with my fingertips, and whenever I touched one with the nail to take it off, it took the skin with it. I'm not sure if that was my fault or not. It also looks sort of like some of the skin was pulled towards the tail somehow. 

Damage or not, I think it worked out pretty well for my first try, at least it's mostly intact. 

zkeLDhSh.jpg

Ah, cool, thanks. 

So is losing skin on loose flakes relatively common with non-electric tools? 

And are there any tools in particular that I should get for future use? I was thinking of picking up a dental pick of some sort, and maybe a flat tool (ex-acto knife?) of some sort. I'd like to try another one or two of these, and, at some point, I really want to go to Wyoming and find some fish for myself. 

2 hours ago, Fishkeeper said:

Ah, cool, thanks. 

So is losing skin on loose flakes relatively common with non-electric tools? 

And are there any tools in particular that I should get for future use? I was thinking of picking up a dental pick of some sort, and maybe a flat tool (ex-acto knife?) of some sort. I'd like to try another one or two of these, and, at some point, I really want to go to Wyoming and find some fish for myself. 

The scales and bones on these fish can flake off fairly easily. 

Dental picks, exacto knives, and either a pin-vise or hand scribe, are all good tools for this.

General Tools pocket scribes are good, inexpensive tools.

Looks pretty good for a first try! 

Keep at it. ;) 

Regards,

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I dont think you can prep out a 'split fish' and not lose any material.  Id say you did a decent job.    I myself always paints a thin layer of glue on these fish in order to not lose anymore material.  Some folks will not do that, but I do.

RB

I'd say this is a successful result, particularly for a first attempt. Well done! :) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I think it looks great! It is a typical preservation for the "split fish" layer. I think it well worthy of display. Your critter does seem a little V-snooted. That is, the skull/"face" is more pointy than is typical. I can't tell from the photo, but my instinct is there is a little more material at the upper/forward margin of that fishy face. 

It looks great and I know you found it a fun and rewarding activity. Careful it is addictive.  

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Thanks, everyone! I definitely had fun, and I've put one of these from a slightly nicer source on my Christmas list. I'm hoping for a taller-bodied fish, maybe something with thick dorsal spines, I like those. 

The instruction sheet suggested coating the fossil in a 10:1 mix of water and white glue, and that seems reasonable to me. Haven't done it yet, I need to pick up some glue. 

I did think the head looked a bit pointier than usual, but I made sure to carve a thin margin around the whole fish to look for more material, since I didn't know what shape this was supposed to come out as. Just went back and checked again, widened the margin around the skull, and that's definitely all the material in there. Maybe it's just a minor deviation from the norm? I've seen that among large batches of living fish- every now and then you find one with a shorter body, fins vaguely out of proportion, or a slight change to the head shape. 

31 minutes ago, Fishkeeper said:

I did think the head looked a bit pointier than usual, but I made sure to carve a thin margin around the whole fish to look for more material, since I didn't know what shape this was supposed to come out as. Just went back and checked again, widened the margin around the skull, and that's definitely all the material in there. Maybe it's just a minor deviation from the norm? I've seen that among large batches of living fish- every now and then you find one with a shorter body, fins vaguely out of proportion, or a slight change to the head shape. 

I imagine that the lower jaw is slightly displaced, being pushed forward; this post-mortem distortion accounting for the pointy visage. It looks great.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

@Fishkeeper I would avoid using the white glue and water mix.  In my opinion, it would be better to not use anything.  A better option would be PVA  (polyvinyl acetate).  @Ptychodus04 would be a good one to seek further input on this.

Overall, great prep.

Part of the “fun” of prepping fish from this particular layer is the fact that they are almost RSVPing to a previous invitation to fall apart! Losing scales was not your fault at all.

I prefer a large sewing needle in a pin vice for hand prep on these. I sharpen the tip into a rounded flat rather than a point. Lightly dampen the matrix for easier removal. Then gently press the needle int the matrix at a slight angle, making sure not to dig into the fossil. Then lightly blow away the resulting loose matrix. Repeat this about 10,000 times.

As for consolidation. You want to use McGean B-15 (PVA), Paraloid, or Butvar. All are polymers soluble in Acetone. Mix 1 part plastic to 50 parts acetone. Lightly brush this on the specimen to lock the scales down.

• I found this Informative 2

Good to know about the fish in this layer, I thought I was messing up somehow. 

Is there any way I can somehow scrub/roughen/polish the scratched areas of matrix to hide the scratches from the tool slipping? 

I've been reading up on substances for consolidation, and I'll definitely be picking something up, I just have to figure out which of them to get. 

I've ordered a small set of dental tools and an exacto knife for my next try, they seem like about the right thing to use. And there will definitely be a next try, this is fun. Plus, I want to try and collect some fish myself, and I'd rather practice on purchased ones with no beginning emotional value. 

I wonder if I can get some really cheap partial fish to use as practice? There have to be plenty of half-fish out there with all that digging, the trick would be finding someone who's selling them. 

Hey @Fishkeeper, one other thing for a prep tool is to go to your local chainsaw dealer and ask them if you can have one or two of their used files.  I use to get lots of em for free.  Sharpen one end to a fine point and keep a little stone and honing oil to keep it sharp.  Its called the 'scratch and blow' method.  Before I got into the airscribe and air abraders thats how I use to prep out quite a few fish.   Also, you can get ahold of @FossilDudeCO.  He may have some you are looking for?   I use to have quite a bit of the split fish but got rid of that stuff a while ago.   Here is one big Diplo I did years ago using a chain saw file.   You dont need all the expensive fancy tools to prep these fish, but your fingers may get a bit sore this way. 

RB

Diplo1C.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

• 2 weeks later...