Post Oak Creek fossil ID

KimTexan

I found these in Post Oak Creek near Sherman city limits. The formation within the creek is Alluvium which is Quaternary, Holocene, Cenozoic (in reverse order) I believe. It is surrounded by Austin chalk which is cretaceous.

I have no idea what they are. I’m certain I’ve seen a modern version of this while Scuba diving, but for the life of me I can’t remember what it was or where I saw it. They look a little like a barnacle, but not exactly, maybe a tube worm colony?

Please let me know your thoughts.

2899FE80-B8CD-442C-892E-D082058E2C4D.jpeg

B8C745D5-B6EC-4410-9059-1511049C3D97.jpeg

086FF019-7B0D-451E-80E6-2BB17595BABA.jpeg

3D07DE99-CE55-4B53-9939-18052D55A862.jpeg

66E6282D-1468-4B6C-AD75-D113E3FE9432.jpeg

819327B4-C0E9-486B-88C3-B114175D3A91.jpeg

You have small Pseudoperna congesta oysters colonizing pieces of thick fibrous inoceramid shells. I have seen similiar fossils in the Austin Chalk.

See: http://oceansofkansas.com/fieldguide1.html

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/58968-texas-north-sulphur-river-lagerstätte/

P1000293 - Copy (874x1024).jpg

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Now that you mention it I hit the jackpot on those shells.4C57C119-EE66-43EC-B916-D335091D007A.thumb.jpeg.5458f847cc92809b34a7af5dcf7da9c8.jpeg

I collected all these and then some in less than 40 min in less than a 40 x 40 area.

AB97787B-0D68-405E-8EA1-45515C938852.thumb.jpeg.7077d4effc099af8e72f76117a23bcd8.jpegSome had both valves. Here’s the top on a smaller one.7BBA3437-D05B-4752-8B93-3DC0DA686A8D.thumb.jpeg.40f9945e84c4a5e20103d8f63931f283.jpegHere is the bottom of it.

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Post Oak Creek fossil ID
1 hour ago, FossilDAWG said:

I am mystified by the title to this thread.

Don

44 minutes ago, old bones said:

Me too...

I've edited it, as "Maine Fossil ID" was rather mystifying. :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Well OK but I still want to know why anyone, and particularly someone from Texas, would think Post Oak Creek is in Maine.  I know most kids these days are weak on geography, but this seems extreme. :)

Don

9 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

Well OK but I still want to know why anyone, and particularly someone from Texas, would think Post Oak Creek is in Maine.  I know most kids these days are weak on geography, but this seems extreme. :)

Don

:hearty-laugh::hearty-laugh:

PS I think She meant "marine".

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

5 hours ago, old bones said:

Me too...

3 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

Don

Sorry I was up too late last night. Obviously I intended Marine fossil ID. It must have auto-corrected to Maine rather than marine.

It is difficult to know how to take your jesting banter since I don’t know any of you. Maybe it is harmless, maybe it’s not.

I look a lot younger than I actually am, so unless you’re over 65 I’m probably not much of a kid. I’m definitely old enough to have grandkids. I’m well preserved, but not fossilized yet.

7 minutes ago, KimTexan said:

It is difficult to know how to take your jesting banter since I don’t know any of you. Maybe it is harmless,

With a grain of salt works for Me.:thumbsu:

I think there was no ill will intended, just poking fun at an obvious mistake.:D

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

12 hours ago, doushantuo said:

plahawle1fitarqbracrstPage-S0022336000027062a.jpg

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the difference between the last 3?

It has been many years since I learned my classifications. If it is something related to phylogeny and cladistics I don’t think I ever had to learn that. So I don’t know what cf. and aff. represent.

1 hour ago, ynot said:

With a grain of salt works for Me.:thumbsu:

I think there was no ill will intended, just poking fun at an obvious mistake.:D

I'm with Tony. Lots of salt! This is a good place to be. ;)

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png

cf. =confere, means compare to

aff.= affinis, means similar to

authors do use such abbreviations in cases when fossils differ a little from the typus exemplar of a species.

... and another link for Pseudoperna congesta on inoceramid valve:

:)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

8 hours ago, KimTexan said:

Sorry I was up too late last night. Obviously I intended Marine fossil ID. It must have auto-corrected to Maine rather than marine.

It is difficult to know how to take your jesting banter since I don’t know any of you. Maybe it is harmless, maybe it’s not.

I can't count how many times I've done things like this...besides you were only off by one lousy "R."  Rest assured, comedic banter is always offered with only the best intentions. We are glad you are here. Like @old bones said, it's a good place to be. :D

Excellent batch of finds!

I can't vouch for species, but that absolutely looks like what happens when a patch of oysters dies and all the top shells come off. The bottom shells are welded into the rock and look very strange. Don't step on the modern version- they are sharp as heck and sometimes have flesh-eating bacteria on them. 

Yes, it was quite the find to stumble upon those. The area I got them from was so small and I didn’t even pick them all up. 

I went looking for sharks teeth, because someone had posted on FB in my area that they had found many sharks teeth a few weeks ago, but I had no idea what part of the creek so I just went to the creek. I didn’t find any sharks teeth, but lots of the oysters. I’ll call them blue oysters, because many of them, the ones where the periostacum has worn away are a deep, rich and lovely shade of blue, especially when wet.

Again pardon my ignorance, but why would we put them in quotation marks when it is italicized? What is the significance of Pseudoperna congesta vs “Pseudoperna congesta”? 

Archived