Planning trip to Post Oak Creek in Sherman TX, any other stops?

Fishkeeper

Some time this November, I want to make a trip out to Post Oak Creek to hunt some fossils. I'm in Georgetown, TX, and I'm wondering if there are any good spots along the way that might be worth checking out. Might stop overnight in a hotel somewhere rather than trying to make the entire multiple-stop trip in a day. 

I'm hoping to find shark teeth, bones, echinoderms, and maybe some ammonites. Slabs with fossils inside would be really cool, too, maybe shale or something similar? Trouble is, I have bad knees, so I need areas that aren't too hard to walk through. I can't go clambering over boulders or on overly slippery stuff, and I can't climb up and down hills very much. 

I don't know that there's much fossiliferous shale between Georgetown and Sherman, but there's lots of irregular echinos to be found on 107 between Gatesville and Cavitt.  There's a huge outcropping on the right side of the road just a few miles west of Cavitt.  The Lake Waco Pit is also a fun place to go.  There's a lot here on The Fossil Forum about it.  You would need to get a free permit from the Lake Waco Project Office first though.  http://www.swf-wc.usace.army.mil/waco/

I'm not as familiar with the Dallas area, but I'm sure someone will chime in with some good info. 

The North Sulphur River in Ladonia is pretty amazing as well.  Again, search that one on the forum and you'll see all kinds of info.

Good Luck!!  Maybe I'll see you there.  I'm also planning my first trip up to Sherman (I'm in Waco area).

Archived