Carboniferouspat

Which of the Mazon creek Horseshoes would have been closer to fresh or brackish environment.  Has anyone found a Euroopes at Fossil Rock??

Even though I never collected at Fossil Rock Campground when it was open, I did collect extensively at Shadow Lakes and an area across the street from that location. That area was the former site of the coal mining Pit 4. I also believe that Fossil Rock was in that same area. Pit 4 contained Freshwater Braidwood Fauna. Here are two pics of different Freshwater Euproops danae Horeseshoe crabs that I found at Pit 4. With that said, I also found a Eurypterid (Marine - Essex Fauna) at Pit 4, that may have been deposited in Fresh water during a storm 300 Million years ago.

IMG_8290.thumb.jpg.5755e75f5cee099242ea8e82a16ad501.jpgIMG_8291.thumb.jpg.c350edd4e9c9e4112905be587618e46a.jpg

My Eurypterid-

IMG_5427.thumb.JPG.dad7c9d9e8be8cb721677aaaef2fc2d1.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

@Nimravis is it possible the eurypterid was a freshwater one? I know many of the later ones were.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

16 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

@Nimravis is it possible the eurypterid was a freshwater one? I know many of the later ones were.

It could possibly be, but not sure. 

Thanks for that info,and the pics you posted. That euripterid is awesome...... what is the size of that?

Richardson's guide references a study of over 200,000 concretions and there were specimens of horseshoe crabs found in both the braidwood and essex biotas, although very few.

And just for reference fossil rock was pit 2, I only got to collect there once and really wish I could go back.

19 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Very interesting.

I love the eurypterid.  

Thanks- The funny thing with that concretion is that it had a consistency far different from other concretions that would have fossils. This one looked kind of sandy and if it was cleaned when I first picked it up I would thrown it right down. After I washed the concretions that I collected that day I was cracking some open to show my young niece who was visiting. When I grabbed that one out of the bucket, I told her - "this concretion will not contain a fossil", I was wrong and so happy that I did open it.

• I found this Informative 1

On 11/7/2017 at 8:07 PM, Carboniferouspat said:

Thanks for that info,and the pics you posted. That euripterid is awesome...... what is the size of that?

The fossil it self is about 3" long.