Any ideas

Kody1992

It may be an orthocone nautiloid, but please provide us with location information of where it was found.

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

+1 for orthocone cephalopod. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

8 minutes ago, Kody1992 said:

I found some under name Dawsonoceras is that a orthocone 

yes, but its hard to get the exact genus without knowing what formation its from(?). 

It is certainly a straight-shelled nautiloid.  However I suspect what you have is the siphuncle rather than a phragmocone, as I see no evidence of chambers (camerae).  Large robust siphuncles like this are typical of many Ordovician and Silurian actinocerid nautiloids.  If it is Silurian, Huronia would be one possibility.  It does not really look like a Dawsonoceras to me.  Be aware that there are many genera of nautiloids, even if we are just talking about actinocerids, and confident ID would require more detailed photos, perhaps cross and longitudinal sections, and especially detailed information about the source geological formation.

Don

• I found this Informative 5

another vote for cephalopod, possibly Dawsonoceras sp..

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I thought the siphuncle was the tube in the center that allowed gas transfer , the Phragmocone is the end of the cephalopod which held chambers and the body chamber was connected to that . To call this a siphuncle with the suture designs would be an understatement unless I am wrong and thinking incorrectly . 

2 hours ago, PyritizeMe said:

I thought the siphuncle was the tube in the center that allowed gas transfer , the Phragmocone is the end of the cephalopod which held chambers and the body chamber was connected to that . To call this a siphuncle with the suture designs would be an understatement unless I am wrong and thinking incorrectly . 

You're right about the structural relationships but many siphuncles then were massive and often preferentially preserved.

This kind of thing:

5a02d6de7f61b_ScreenShot2017-11-08at10_01_38.png.60e21feee3f44209cdd467931e8bcc93.png

• I found this Informative 2

Tarquin

11 hours ago, TqB said:

You're right about the structural relationships but many siphuncles then were massive and often preferentially preserved.

This kind of thing:

5a02d6de7f61b_ScreenShot2017-11-08at10_01_38.png.60e21feee3f44209cdd467931e8bcc93.png

Unreal . Ive heard they go big but wow .... thanks T