Brachiopod Imprint?

Bess

I found this fossil near a lake in Hamilton, Nj. The rock in the area is mostly Triassic and Crataceous exempt for a small section of rock that is from the Cambrian. I think that this is an imprint of a brachiopod because of all the ridges.

Here's a picture.

1510014620866779987829.thumb.jpg.048514512ed178385748f35f5dbd4887.jpg

I hope that you can identify this. Thanks in advance.:)

That does look like the partial imprint of a brachiopod shell. Considering where you found it I'm guessing it was transported by the glacier (or humans) from somewhere up north. 

• I found this Informative 2

I agree that it appears to be a brachiopod shell imprint. The problem is that there isn't enough of the shell present to ID it. That and not knowing the exact rock formation it came from. 

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

This might be a brachiopod imprint, but what bothers me is that (number corresponds with number on marked picture below):

1) the "imprint" seems to occur in more than one plane.  The "plications" continue into a deeper cut into the rock.

2) The "plications" seem to have a cross-wall structure between them that continues into the rock

3)  This area (3) looks again like the fossil continues into the matrix and appears to represent a cross-section of a more 3-dimensional fossil than a brachiopod imprint.

Bryozoan?

Brach.thumb.jpg.1949c9a9dab72b63348305c24280f788.jpg

There is a superficial (and essentially meaningless)similarity to a synrhabdosome,as figured by Koren(DGF,1976).

Please note: i am not  making a taxonomic assignment in any shape or form here

(stratigraphy,morphology),etc.

I always like to point out superficial similarities,because that might prevent future confusion

kenntPage-S0022336000027062a.jpg