Unidentified fossil fruit

Dpaul7

Hello!

I received this fossil from a friend - He could not remember the NAME of the fruit - only that it is agatized fruit, from Queensland, Australia, and that it is a bit scarce.  Can anyone give an idea? It looks a bit "squashed" - but very interesting!

Thanks for looking!

IMG_7567.JPG

IMG_7568.JPG

Looks like an agate or chert nodule, to me. :unsure: 

Sorry, but I'm not seeing fruit, or any fossil here.  

Regards,

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

I agree with Fossildude19

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Definitely mineral , but giving the shape ans mineral a story is the cool part, even if its just a stone it gave you the inspiration to look father , and so will the next person , definitely an agatized plum fossil. Wink wink ;)

Geological for me too.

The chances of fossilised fruit flesh is really unlikely (as with animal flesh) as it would rot very quickly except under exceptional circumstances although the seeds are common. :) 

It looks to be a geological wonder to me, so I agree with the others. I would like to compare with the biconoid / multiconoid structures.

IMG_7569.JPG.4905b844c05b988a709437c420c0c0a8.thumb.JPG.d3b031005a42f116e4ff77f12824664f.JPG

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2017 at 2:50 AM, Dpaul7 said:

Hello!

I received this fossil from a friend - He could not remember the NAME of the fruit - only that it is agatized fruit, from Queensland, Australia, and that it is a bit scarce.  Can anyone give an idea? It looks a bit "squashed" - but very interesting!

Thanks for looking!

IMG_7567.JPG

IMG_7568.JPG

Can we get more focused images of the sides? It really looks like a pentagonal thunderegg core.

591043e0c5c6b_TheFormationofThundereggs-Revised2004_1.jpg.a99b1a0b5d1beb3122d823c71de5ef26.thumb.jpg.90cd49f3db16cb8b74e762fadd7d88d6.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Gentlemen and ladies!

Thank you for your kind responses!  I am attaching a file - if I might - on fossil fruits in Australia! It seems there ARE fossil fruits.  I send a message to my friend asking about this piece he sent - He said he bought it about 20 years ago; and there was an article from an Australian journal that accompanied it explaining about the piece. He had sadly lost the article - and does not remember the fruit name.  He DID say the piece was agatized!

I would like to thank one and all for their input - The Thunder Egg post was very interesting! Also the odd vertebrae-like pieces found in New Mexico!  It could very well be that this was described as "fruit" to make a sale!  It is an interesting piece to me, and I appreciate the comments!  I have not studied fossils since the late 1960s... so I must relearn a lot! 

One thing I find to be sad... when I was a kid, we ALL went looking for minerals, fossils, insects, looked at the stars & planets, etc.  We wanted to know all about them!  Many kids today just do not have these interests... too absorbed in video games!  (Just a random thought from an old fogey!)

Fossil_fruit_of_the_Macadamieae_(Proteaceae)_in_the_Tertiary_of_eastern_Australia.pdf

Unfortunately, none of the figures in the paper you provided look like your item. :( 

I think that your friend may have been misled (whether intentionally or unintentionally, is anyone's guess. ) as to it's identity.

It is an interesting item, but I don't see any resemblance to the fruit fossils pictured in the paper. :unsure: 

Regards, 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Agreed, Fossildude19 - I thought the paper might be interesting to some folks is all.  I'm thinking it is just an odd nodule!  Interesting as a mineral specimen, perhaps!

My friend also sent me Austalites... I was VERY happy to get those!

Australites is interesting. :)

Thomas Mann

My Library

3 hours ago, Dpaul7 said:

Gentlemen and ladies!

Thank you for your kind responses!  I am attaching a file - if I might - on fossil fruits in Australia! It seems there ARE fossil fruits.  I send a message to my friend asking about this piece he sent - He said he bought it about 20 years ago; and there was an article from an Australian journal that accompanied it explaining about the piece. He had sadly lost the article - and does not remember the fruit name.  He DID say the piece was agatized!

I would like to thank one and all for their input - The Thunder Egg post was very interesting! Also the odd vertebrae-like pieces found in New Mexico!  It could very well be that this was described as "fruit" to make a sale!  It is an interesting piece to me, and I appreciate the comments!  I have not studied fossils since the late 1960s... so I must relearn a lot! 

One thing I find to be sad... when I was a kid, we ALL went looking for minerals, fossils, insects, looked at the stars & planets, etc.  We wanted to know all about them!  Many kids today just do not have these interests... too absorbed in video games!  (Just a random thought from an old fogey!)

Fossil_fruit_of_the_Macadamieae_(Proteaceae)_in_the_Tertiary_of_eastern_Australia.pdf

Interesting paper.  Like others, I would not have expected there would be much chance to find fossilized fruit, but there it is.  I wonder if this kind of preservation is unique to Australia or whether we should be scouring Oligocene and Miocene deposits elsewhere for similar specimens?

Archived