Need A Good Id Book

danielp

I was wandering if anyone knows of any good fossil books for my area. I live on the ok/tx border.

kinda depends if you're going to hunt more in a particular direction. you've got varying ages of stuff within driving distance of you. i mainly use books on cretaceous fossils, but up there you may well need books on the older stuff too. check with the dallas paleo club, and you might check with the houston club (hgms) on their cretaceous publications.

From seeing your other finds, I would get "A Field Guide To Fossils Of Texas" By Charles E Finsley

EBAY

Amazon

Im sure theres other books, and im hoping others post them here, cause Im always looking for new books

Most people end up with several books depending on which fossils you like and the areas you collect in.

From seeing your other finds, I would get "A Field Guide To Fossils Of Texas" By Charles E Finsley

EBAY

Amazon

Im sure theres other books, and im hoping others post them here, cause Im always looking for new books

I second that one.

George P. Hansen has a good book, Trilobites of Black Cat Mountain if you are collecting from that area.

Don't overlook the publications of the Texas Bureau of Economic Geology, The Oklahoma Geological Society and the USGS for good older books on fossil ID. The location info from that period (1900 - 1950's) is outdated but the plates and descriptions of fossils from the described formations are still good - although some genus names have changed.

Archived