0lderthandirt

NW Arizona, Redwall limestone, Mooney Falls member. 

Hello, 

I found an area with lots of crinoid parts. There were also a few of these dimpled rocks and some with holes all the way through, some tapered. Any ideas what these are? 

Thanks

DSC_0013.JPG

DSC_0012.JPG

DSC_0011.JPG

Will your next answer to my question be no? 

they look more geologic than biologic to me

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Hello again @0lderthandirt!

I agree with geological, first thought would be its a conglomerate with the included stones worn out. Conglomerate is common in the lower strata of the formation if memory serves.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Thank you for the opinions.  I can agree that 1 and 2 are just rocks. 3 definitely has something going on but sadly the depth and shadow details get washed out too bad with every picture I've tried to take.  Thanks again for taking a look! 

Weathered stones , the last one could be an artifact though. Maybe a native pendent piece , check this piece closely for hand work as in scratches or chips etc or tool marks .

Tried to get good angles in sunlight here. The holes in the middle of the rock, with the bump sticking out, appears to be the casting of where 3 of the cylinders were touching in the center and protruding at different angles. Hard to actually see that in the pictures though. 

DSC_0021.JPG

DSC_0016.JPG

DSC_0019.JPG

10 hours ago, PyritizeMe said:

Weathered stones , the last one could be an artifact though. Maybe a native pendent piece , check this piece closely for hand work as in scratches or chips etc or tool marks .

That's an interesting idea that I hadn't considered. I have found lots of pottery shards around here. It could be something for making arrows and even sharpening pointed tips, the size is perfect for that. I just thought it was maybe part of crinoids because those were all around this. Thanks for the input

5 hours ago, ynot said:

I am not seeing a fossil in 3. It looks like a rock with clam or sponge hole borings.

Does not look like an artifact either.

Thanks for looking and I agree. I don't see anything in the pictures either that say fossil.  I'm going back tomorrow or next day and hopefully find more or better examples that are more photogenic. 

I went back today and found what I believe made the impressions. I just don't know what it is but it's the right size and shape. I found several but this cylinder is closest in shape and size, even possibly the right taper. 

20171110_134854.jpg

20171110_135512.jpg