Potassium Hydroxide Experiment

Ptychodus04

With the discussion of using potassium hydroxide to prep clay based matrices I procured some Granton material from the magnanimous Tim @Fossildude19.

He sent me several fragments with bits of coelacanth in them for me to experiment with. I very carefully placed a few flakes on the matrix with long tweezers (it is a VERY strong base and will mess you up if you're not careful) and watched in amazement as it immediately began to become liquid. I let this sit overnight and rinsed in clear water. There was no visible effect on the matrix so back into the dish it went for further treatment. This time, I added a few more flakes and allowed it to sit for 3 days. No change.

Next, I decided to dump about 1 tablespoon's worth of flakes on it and let it sit until I saw something happen. After a week, there was a minute amount of black clay particles in the dish. I added more flakes. After a total of 3 weeks in solution there was a significant effect but not what I had hoped for. Rather than the matrix dissolving, the piece had split into 3 thin wafers with the same material still covering the fossils.

Result of the test... don't use potassium hydroxide on Granton Quarry material. Next, I took a piece to a geologist friend for a hardness test. Overall, the matrix tested at a 3 on the Moh's Scale. Dolomite will remove it very slowly.

With this data, my plan of prep attack is staying the same as before. Scribe under a microscope, clean up with abrasive, go slow, take a bunch of breaks, and be thrilled when the prep job is over!!

• I found this Informative 1

Just now, jpc said:

If the matrix is a 3, did you test the bone?  

I don't have a piece with exposed bone to scratch test yet. Once I prep one of the scrap pieces, I'll test it.

• I found this Informative 1

34 minutes ago, jpc said:

Have fun.

He's a funny guy that JPC!

One thing that compounds the prep further is the presence of pyrite. I'm currently working on one that has a thin layer of pyrite completely covering most of the bones. Fortunately, most of it does not have pyrite disease, but it's there and will need to be mitigated in order to keep it from destroying the fossil.

Calgon dishwasher liquid will dissolve and break up some clay matrixes, and shale

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

3 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

He's a funny guy that JPC!

One thing that compounds the prep further is the presence of pyrite. I'm currently working on one that has a thin layer of pyrite completely covering most of the bones. Fortunately, most of it does not have pyrite disease, but it's there and will need to be mitigated in order to keep it from destroying the fossil.

did I say this already?... Have fun.  I mean, ummm, yikes!  Pyrite is nasty stuff. 

probably will not do anything on a near slate

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

1 hour ago, jpc said:

did I say this already?... Have fun.  I mean, ummm, yikes!  Pyrite is nasty stuff. 

Yes you did...:wacko:

20 minutes ago, Herb said:

probably will not do anything on a near slate

It will make it fit to eat dinner off of it.

7 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Yes you did...:wacko:

It will make it fit to eat dinner off of it.

HA ha , YES IT WILL