Butvar for pyritized fossils?

Fishkeeper

I'm going to be making a trip to the Waco Pit this weekend, and I'm hoping to find some pyritized ammonites. If I get lucky and find some, can I use butvar to help preserve them? 

Also, is there any way to shine them up just a bit? I know a harsh polishing scrub would damage them, but what about something like a toothbrush to get them clean? 

I’ve posted this process before and it works well for preserving pyritized fossils. I have dozens that I keep in closed containers with no issues.

go to Home Depot and buy some Iron Out. Mix a cup of iron out with a gallon of warm water. Use same ratio for lesser volumes. 1/4 cup:quart, etc.

Soak the ammonites over night.

Next day scrub with toothbrush and dish soap under running water. They will start out black but will shine up nicely. Rinse well.

Allow to dry for several days or dry in low heat oven for a few hours.

After dry, use PVA, Paraloid, or butvar solution to seal. Mix 1 part plastic to 50 parts acetone by volume. Apply several coats to all sides. Once dry, these should last forever without pyrite disease.

1 hour ago, Fishkeeper said:

Awesome, thank you! 

I'm on Amazon right now. Any specific kind of Iron Out? Would the below (rust remover) work, or do I need a different formulation? 

https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Remover-Trigger-Spray-Clear/dp/B0086AAVWS/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1510097896&sr=8-1&keywords=iron+out

You want to get the dry crystals so you can mix up your own solution. My recipe is stronger than what you will get from premixed Iron Out.

You want this stuff:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Iron-Out-Rust-Stain-Remover-30-oz/17757441?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222228016750092&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=42531482192&wl4=pla-81188773712&wl5=9026796&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=17757441&wl13=&veh=sem

Archived