DE&i

This is a derived fossil I picked up from the Carstone Formation (Albian stage, Early Cretaceous) which has Kimmeridge clay below. It doesn’t have the appearance of any marine reptile bone structures that I’m familiar with as that was my first thoughts

Right side view

5a032c9abb01a_unknownderivedCarstoneformationfossilrightsideview.jpg.49eccdb3f72b10188f44a82d200a6a54.jpg

Right side view close up

5a032c9934934_unknownderivedCarstoneformationfossilrightsideviewcloseup.jpg.79908c3d13da6ec39bdbcf2d17ae27b0.jpg

Left side view

5a032c978286b_unknownderivedCarstoneformationfossilleftsideview.jpg.8446a7356fa17cf0b5425cb4f1c066a2.jpg

Left side view close up 

5a032c95eabae_unknownderivedCarstoneformationfossilleftsideviewcloseup.jpg.98edc8bdce7788fb85aa9b15edefb2cc.jpg

Regards.....D&E&i

The only certainty with fossil hunting is the uncertainty.

https://lnk.bio/Darren.Withers

Continued with more photos:

Top view

5a032dc70e565_unknownderivedCarstoneformationfossiltopview.jpg.9d7745bf5ec6ba6a9a2c11f214ef0fed.jpg

Bottom view

5a032dbe9fff9_unknownderivedCarstoneformationfossilbottomview.jpg.9628b14f7a9ec0825c819bf28f99b94a.jpg

Right end view

5a032dc574162_unknownderivedCarstoneformationfossilrightendview.jpg.4df8f40e21512dbfa999135b18fabba3.jpg

Right end view close up

5a032dc3eef0d_unknownderivedCarstoneformationfossilrightendviewcloseup.jpg.58d65092e13fdd916ef5c15fd9fa5bef.jpg

Left end view

5a032dc237ae6_unknownderivedCarstoneformationfossilleftendview.jpg.cad20016baf85d92ac42a589cae80a06.jpg

Left end view close up

5a032dc06ea50_unknownderivedCarstoneformationfossilleftendviewcloseup.jpg.039f76161dd97d4b542e415d674f9415.jpg

Would anyone else have any suggestions please.

Regards.....D&E&i

Not sure what you mean by 'derived' but it is definitely a piece of fossil bone.  I also lean towrds fish, but it is only whispering, not screaming. 

Just now, jpc said:

Not sure what you mean by 'derived' but it is definitely a piece of fossil bone.  I also lean towrds fish, but it is only whispering, not screaming. 

I have the volume in my head turned up so I can hear over the tinnitus.

• I found this Informative 1

21 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

That screams fish to me because of the flaky/laminated texture of the bone.

Thank you @Ptychodus04 fish sounds likely I guess

18 minutes ago, jpc said:

Thank you @jpc a derived fossil  would be redeposited in a sediment which is younger than the one in which it first occurred. So I would presume it could be from the Kimmeridge clay.

Regards.....D&E&i

Ah... derived to me means evolutionarily derived... more advanced.  Usually it is used as such for indoividual characteristics.  Ex: Large brain is a derived characteristic for primates.  

• I found this Informative 1

1 minute ago, jpc said:

Ah... derived to me means evolutionarily derived... more advanced.  Usually it is used as such for indoividual characteristics.  Ex: Large brain is a derived characteristic for primates.  

It’s one of the duel meaning words I suppose, hope it sounded OK ;)

Regards.....D&E&i

Derived meaning "from an older formation" is a standard geological usage, as well as the biological one. :) It whispers "fish" to me too.

Tarquin

There's an awful lot of cancelous bone in this piece, but i can see what you guys are saying. Looks more reptilian to me (in my quietest whisper). 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Thank you everyone,

So I ran with the fishy vote, coupled in with Kimmeridge Amiiformes, and once again the top internet searches took me to The Steve Etches collections.

I’m going with the Caturus fish, link supplied below.

http://www.theetchescollection.org/collections/Amiiformes

That said there is a lot of other fish in his collection, I wonder what part it could be if it is indeed a fish.

Regards.....D&E&i

2 hours ago, TqB said:

Derived meaning "from an older formation" is a standard geological usage, as well as the biological one. :) It whispers "fish" to me too.

This must be a British thing.  I have never heard it.  We use the word "reworked"

1 hour ago, jpc said:

This must be a British thing.  I have never heard it.  We use the word "reworked"

So might we, there's a choice. :) From Wikipedia, amongst others: 

"derived, reworked or remanié fossil is a fossil found in rock that accumulated significantly later than when the fossilized animal or plant died.[46] Reworked fossils are created by erosion exhuming (freeing) fossils from the rock formation in which they were originally deposited and their redeposition in an younger sedimentary deposit."

Tarquin

"remanie"(with accent aigue)... I speak French and I did not know that one.  And i know we have a member here who uses that as his name.  

See, ya learn something new every day.