Help with Dinosaur teeth purchase

thesoph

Hi I am looking to purchase these dinosaur teeth but I am a complete novice. They are labelled as Spinosaurus Aegypiticus (I've probably spelt that wrong!)

And it states they are from North Africa, which I believe is all correct aslong as they are genuine.

I have attached a photo if anyone can offer advice on whether they are genuine or have been restored?

Thanks

tooth1.jpg

tooth2.jpg

Both are indeed Spinosaur teeth. There's some sediment on the tooth enamel, sometimes repairs are hidden this way. So as such it's possible they have been repaired. These teeth are typical of the ones found in the Kem Kem beds in Morocco and Algeria. Though most fossils sold from this area seem to come from Morocco. The deposits there are from the Cenomanian, which is in the beginning of the Late Cretaceous.

Right now it's not possible to identify Spinosaur teeth down to genus or species. There are two known Spinosaurids present in the Kem Kem beds. There is Spinosaurus aegyptiacus, and Sigilmassasaurus brevicollis. Not enough skull material with teeth has been found to conclusively tell which type of teeth belong to which. So right now all we can say is that these teeth are definitely from a Spinosaurid, and very likely from either Spinosaurus or Sigilmassasaurus.

Here's a Spinosaur tooth from my collection as an example.

• I found this Informative 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Thank you very much for replying.

My partner is a lover of dinosaurs and I so want to get something like this as a gift but having little to no knowledge it is a mine field for me plus I lack the budget probably required for a really good specimen.

These particular teeth are being sold for about £40 - which is not a great deal of money but maybe a good gift and at least a well meaning thought??

Thank you

Great gift but I think the price is quite high considering the condition of the teeth.   I think you can do much better for that price and obtain undamaged teeth.   Might only be one tooth.

• I found this Informative 1

Arrrgh honestly need someone to give me a link of a reasonable priced, genuine as possible dinosaur tooth and then voila!! I'm sure that's what everyone wants so I'll keep researching best I can

Thank you

I belive Troodon is right on the money.  That price is a bit high for repaired teeth.  The best of luck to you.

RB