Evolution set progress: Finally a chub!

Miocene_Mason

The mail box was a particularly good hunting spot for me today, and most of the fossils I bought will go on the mailbox score thread, but today I will take the time to show off my progress on my evolution set. The problem with these are the harder to get specimens, the Carcharocles chubutensis is the first challenge. I’ve been looking for one that doesn’t break the bank for a while now, and finally I found one. This chub (from North Carolina I believe but I have to check on that) has the vestigial cusps and finer serrations. It is complete as well and about two inches (my target size). The only problem being it is a posterior tooth. This is not a huge problem, as I can work the rest of the set around it. This is the set of three so far, of course there will most likely be some switching out, as the meg has damage from biting and the angy is missing a side, but for now it is fine. Now I’m going to need a two inch posterior specimen of the following: Cretolamna Appendiculta, otodus obliquus, otodus askuaticus, carcharocles auriculatus, carcharocles sokolovi. This will take a while.... pm me if you are looking to sell one of these (low on trading material right now).

Im also working on a Great white evolution set, which will likely take just as long or longer (I like a challenge) which consists currently of a GW and a Hastilis, although I may switch out the hastilis for a broader one. I’m looking for an isurolamna inflata, a isurus (macrorhizodus) praecursor, a escheri, and the elusive Hubbelli (this one will probably  take the longest, just as sokolovi will probably take the longest for the other lineage). I have my eyes on a escheri (and yes I just found out it is actually a separate sister taxon, I’ll include it anyway for convergent evolution) on one site, but if I can get one cheaper somewhere else I will. Again you have one of these (especially Hubbelli) that you’d be willing to let go of, let me know and if it’s for a reasonable price I’ll buy it. These again looking around two inches and anterior (not posterior this time) but I will taylor this around the Hubbelli. 

I will also need to display these, I’m thinking riker mount, comment on any ideas for display. I’m thinking of putting both these sets in the same mount (it will have to be a big one though, still thinking it through). Thanks for reading!

6887D0E3-A9CA-47DE-9C55-51E69C38B02A.jpeg

739AE7C9-296E-4C44-8C0E-26BF2C7230C8.jpeg

85B22D55-6D30-4129-8220-D9A5C46EF668.jpeg

85B51A66-593F-4B53-82D3-373B98448F03.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

8 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Nice start, you can find most of the rest in Maryland and Virginia.

Thanks! Yeah, it's just finding the time to do it! I've yet to find my first meg yet, much less a chub! I've found otodus and cretolamna but all small and broken.

8 minutes ago, ynot said:

it is a good start

Best of luck with getting the rest.

Thanks! I must say since posting this, I've bought a otodus and auriculatus from @gavialboy! Thanks for the teeth @gavialboy!

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Well, so much for sokolovi taking a long time, just found three for sale, bought'em for twenty. Were sold as sokolowi, I told the seller the mistake. Once I get a cretolamna of adequate size, I should have the complete set! I'll post it later. Now for the whites....

Oh, forgot, still need a nice 2" posterior angy and meg. That shouldn't be too hard though.

Happy hunting,

Mason