Darko

I've got this from my friend from South Africa,but he can't identify from which animals are these fragments.Anyways, your help will be nice.

20171110_004213.jpg

20171110_004117.jpg

20171110_004027.jpg

20171110_004349.jpg

I agree. Still cool though, I always thought it was sad when people leave them; I always keep them when I find them at the beachs. 

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Some times taking pictures from different angles is also helpful. There is one in the first pic that is black, touching your pinky and kind of key shaped.

Another one that additional pictures may be helpful on is the one with a hole in it, the largest object.

The 3rd pic too if we could have a pick from the side or end. Sometimes the curvature and thickness of bones can give big clues. Slivers of bones are often difficult to ID.

Also knowing the area they are found in is helpful. Although I know nothing about South African geology.

Some guy posted a bone fragment last week on FB in the area I live in. The first response was that it couldn’t be identified. The guy provided a few more pics and we were able to narrow it down to the the end of the radius from the flipper of one of 2 animals. So, you never know, but these are pretty small. If any of them have the joint end present, pictures of that may help.

Some of them might be proboscidean tooth plate fragments.

Here is an example of Mammuthus primigenius molar plates from Europe, Germany.

5a04f526b2040_Mammothmolarplates.thumb.jpg.d82c88758c0a000975714bf73aed5d6d.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

19 minutes ago, KimTexan said:

Some times taking pictures from different angles is also helpful. There is one in the first pic that is black, touching your pinky and kind of key shaped.

Another one that additional pictures may be helpful on is the one with a hole in it, the largest object.

The 3rd pic too if we could have a pick from the side or end. Sometimes the curvature and thickness of bones can give big clues. Slivers of bones are often difficult to ID.

Also knowing the area they are found in is helpful. Although I know nothing about South African geology.

Some guy posted a bone fragment last week on FB in the area I live in. The first response was that it couldn’t be identified. The guy provided a few more pics and we were able to narrow it down to the the end of the radius from the flipper of one of 2 animals. So, you never know, but these are pretty small. If any of them have the joint end present, pictures of that may help.

I can take pics from different angles,that's no problem! Thanks for the advice. :D 

10 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

Some of them might be proboscidean tooth plate fragments.

Here is an example of Mammuthus primigenius molar plates from Europe, Germany.

5a04f526b2040_Mammothmolarplates.thumb.jpg.d82c88758c0a000975714bf73aed5d6d.jpg

I'll rather say that is possible Mammuthus Subplanifrons

I gave the suggestion and you picked up in the right direction. :)

I would be very careful to assign isolated teeth fragments to M. subplanifrons without precise location of the find, geological settings and adequate bibliography , but I won't exclude that possibility considering the evolution and migration of the Mammoth around the world.

mammoth_map.jpg.dc3f92ec4f670fb7069eceeeb0a25043.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

7 hours ago, abyssunder said:

I gave the suggestion and you picked up in the right direction. :)

I would be very careful to assign isolated teeth fragments to M. subplanifrons without precise location of the find, geological settings and adequate bibliography , but I won't exclude that possibility considering the evolution and migration of the Mammoth around the world.

mammoth_map.jpg.dc3f92ec4f670fb7069eceeeb0a25043.jpg

Thanks for the info. :)

I can only say that mollar fragments are found at the Beach in South African Republic. I can take more pics and show  you,if that can help you some how. Idk much more  about this.

3 hours ago, Darko said:

Thanks for the info. :)

I can only say that mollar fragments are found at the Beach in South African Republic. I can take more pics and show  you,if that can help you some how. Idk much more  about this.