I give up any ideas?

Ronda

I think it is an internal mold of a bivalve.  It is possible that more specific suggestions could be offered if you could enlighten us as to the age, geological formation, or locality where the specimen was collected.

Don

• I found this Informative 3

I came across it on the beach during a renourishment project after hurricane north of Myrtle Beach the little nodules on it caught my eye.

8 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

There is an animal called Juresania,and it's a brachiopod.

Caveat:this is NOT a taxonomic assignment

Dang, you caught me there :ighappy:

I just responded without thinking much. Nice catch 

CD

Would we expect to see Permian/Pennsylvanian fossils like  Juresania, landing on Myrtle Beach? I agree that it looks more like a brachiopod than a bivalve but mostly because of the spine bumps if that's what they are. Either way I don't know this one.

4 minutes ago, BobWill said:

Would we expect to see Permian/Pennsylvanian fossils like  Juresania, landing on Myrtle Beach? I agree that it looks more like a brachiopod than a bivalve but mostly because of the spine bumps if that's what they are. Either way I don't know this one.

In all reality, probably not. I was just saying it reminded me of a Juresania sp, but I have no idea what it actually is. 

CD

Myrtle is a ways from the Paleozoic, I say suggestively shaped rock. 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Last photo, cropped and brightened:

580E1C6A-0DB6-4A57-AF63-7243D3C64B7C.thumb.jpeg.9e5b3b561a262b7f05c48f836e3cd58f.jpeg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

8 hours ago, BobWill said:

I agree that it looks more like a brachiopod than a bivalve but mostly because of the spine bumps if that's what they are. Either way I don't know this one.

If this is an internal mold, would the bumps actually represent holes in the original shell? In which case, possible borings instead?

Myrtle Beach is well known for fossil shark teeth, but Cretaceous shells such as Exogyra and Pycnodonte are also common, and I have even collected a Cretaceous echinoid there.  Internal molds of bivalves and gastropods, preserved in black phosphatic rock, are fairly abundant.  Many of the shells are bored by the sponge Cliona, and on molds those borings show as bumps or spines.

Below is a photo (from the web) of a modern shell with Cliona borings.

Don

Cliona.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

That would account for the irregularity of the bumps and the lack of growth lines. The beak is saying "label me unknown bivalve internal mold".

8 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

Myrtle Beach is well known for fossil shark teeth, but Cretaceous shells such as Exogyra and Pycnodonte are also common, and I have even collected a Cretaceous echinoid there.  Internal molds of bivalves and gastropods, preserved in black phosphatic rock, are fairly abundant.  Many of the shells are bored by the sponge Cliona, and on molds those borings show as bumps or spines.

Below is a photo (from the web) of a modern shell with Cliona borings.

Don

Cliona.jpg

I have collected marine Cretaceous fossils from Alabama for years and have seen many phosphoric internal molds of brachiopods that look exactly like your find.  I'm going to agree with FossilDAWG.

I also agree. The sticking out 'thorns' of the steinkern are sediment infills of the galleries made by the hard substrate borer(s).

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library