aek

Last Sunday I had the opportunity to travel to East Central Iowa to collect Devonian fossils. It was a nice foggy morning drive to the quarry.

IMAG1306.thumb.jpg.c84e0dd834c94aa48ef317e53dab5c22.jpg

Upon approaching the quarry, there was a house burning down- a odd, surreal scene. 

IMAG1313.thumb.jpg.3e902e8883841628e1ab320d7c6454a6.jpg

At the bottom of the quarry could smell the smoke from the house. No pics of the quarry were permitted which is too bad as it is a geologically fascinating place. Devonian Cedar Valley formation, lower Solon exposed as well as Pennsylvanian karsts.

Here are a few of my finds.

Hexagonaria

hexagonaria.thumb.jpg.b3f6849ef1d8cf6efe330ca4a95bc30b.jpg

Trilobites. Eldredgeops peeking out from the rocks

IMG_1891.thumb.jpg.0f1ae2e7c5a2a297f3f07fab6a0cea34.jpg

IMG_1889.thumb.jpg.5b900dcafb4d4a4573709d9023eb5039.jpg

Acleistoceras sp

acleistoceras.thumb.jpg.8d6b0a80dcd05567be63caa3e11cbd91.jpg

IMG_1896.thumb.jpg.0f5ecdc47dba31ec2971224e1817b954.jpg

And last, but not least, this nice crystal.

IMG_1940.thumb.jpg.8bc9ee75f0aab1bb2f84b4841d4021e2.jpg

Thanks for looking. Cheers

Nice finds. The ceph is very nice, but so is that Hexagonaria. Interesting snap of the burning house... hopefully no one was hurt. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Nice finds especially when visibility is affected from the smoke! Was it Klein Quarry you hunted in?? I had signed up for the quarry trip since we were to be in Ames for the Iowa/Ohio State football game. If there are any Hawkeye fans on here, you have my congratulations for a game well played. Unfortunately, motel rooms were non existent in town so we went on to Burlington ,Iowa instead. Had very good time there with crinoids. But obviously the quarry is still producing!! Wish I could have done both.

Fantastic fossils, and what a beautiful calcite crystal! :wub:

It's interesting that all those fire fighters seemed to be just standing around.  I wonder if that was a deliberate/practice burn on a house slated for demolition?

Don

@minnbuckeye yes! It was Klein Quarry

@FossilDAWG  I was wondering the same thing...firefighters just watching the house burn down..who knows?

@Wrangellian  Photographs with depth of perception distortions (for example, car appearing to be parked next to quarry wall in the photo) or safety protocols appearing to not be followed get circulated on social media, could get into the wrong hands and permanently bar collectors from the quarry.. one strike ,you're out. It's seems to be a fairly typical practice with some of quarries I've been to. 

Those are some nice finds and the Calcite crystal is a beauty too!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

18 hours ago, aek said:

@FossilDAWG  I was wondering the same thing...firefighters just watching the house burn down..who knows?

@Wrangellian  Photographs with depth of perception distortions (for example, car appearing to be parked next to quarry wall in the photo) or safety protocols appearing to not be followed get circulated on social media, could get into the wrong hands and permanently bar collectors from the quarry.. one strike ,you're out. It's seems to be a fairly typical practice with some of quarries I've been to. 

I guess that makes sense.... :wacko:  So no one can get any geology shots for the fossils they're collecting.

A few years ago the fire dep't burned down the old house I grew up in, as fire practice, because the place was sold not to a new resident but an industry and was going to be demolished anyway. :(

I guess something like that is happening there.

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:17 PM, Wrangellian said:

Nice stuff!

Why do they not allow photos of the quarry? Odd..

7 hours ago, Peace river rat said:

Nice finds! No pics? Don't want the competition scoping it?

I had recently pointed out a picture to Kane in a topic he had created about a quarry expedition. Because of depth perception in pictures, it made the people in the background look like they were next to the high wall when they are not, something forbidden and dangerous for those who hunt in quarries. Kane has since removed that picture from view. Aek hunted in a quarry with a few fossil clubs that get together on occasion in the quarries in the East Central Iowa area. One quarry is now forbidding us to enter because such pictures showed up on line and created problems for the quarry. I am SURE no one was too close to the quarry wall but pictures made it appear that way. We now have a NO PICTURE policy (pictures of your fossils are fine). My suggestion to ANYONE HUNTING IN QUARRIES to abide by this suggestion. Once quarries limit access, it is gone forever.

@Peace river rat@aek@Kane

• I found this Informative 3