Whale tooth?

Peace river rat

Found today, near the peace river in Arcadia, my guess is whale tooth? *Sigh* one day, I may find a whole one?

P1010093.JPG

P1010094.JPG

P1010095.JPG

The root kinda appears to be much longer than what the crown would have been, and it's quite big, so I think it probably could be a whale tooth, and if it is, then maybe a Scaldicetus? Entirely a guess though.

• I found this Informative 2

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

54 minutes ago, Macrophyseter said:

The root kinda appears to be much longer than what the crown would have been, and it's quite big, so I think it probably could be a whale tooth, and if it is, then maybe a Scaldicetus? Entirely a guess though.

As is my speculation, I feel confident, though. But I could be wrong, not the first time!

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Not an expert, but I think it looks a bit too flat and the enamel looks a bit off for whale. Also, the curvature in the enamel portion of the tooth looks to me a bit odd relative to the angle of the root for a whale (though it might be the photo angle).

I think it might be part of a bear/large cat canine.

• I found this Informative 1

Whenever you find a large tooth in the peace, it could be dire wolf or bear, or it could be whale.. MOST are broken by tumbling with rocks in the river over time.

What distinguishes whale are circular growth rings around the tooth.  If you see any of those, your photo should highlight them...

WhaleToothTFF.JPG.14d66cd2e3f546b93821738124f522fa.JPG

Here is a chipped but more complete tooth found in the general vicinity of Arcadia.

PeaceRWhale.thumb.jpg.b5ff23c38b2843a86747a66a3e466922.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I think the general curvature and general root to crown ratio seems to be about right for a sperm whale, as @Macrophyseter suggested. Here is a Miocene-aged sperm whale tooth for reference. 

10090-11.jpg

CD

16 hours ago, Kharon said:

Not an expert, but I think it looks a bit too flat and the enamel looks a bit off for whale. Also, the curvature in the enamel portion of the tooth looks to me a bit odd relative to the angle of the root for a whale (though it might be the photo angle).

I think it might be part of a bear/large cat canine.

Welcome to the forum!

I should be remembered that the tooth is only a partial and has much damage, especially on the enamel, thus is why there seems to be perfect lines on it, which I think seems to be enamel peel rather than striations. Also, I wouldn't think that the curvature is a red flag, as many fossil whale teeth have similar curvatures.

But I'm no more of an expert than you are ;)

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

1 hour ago, coled18 said:

I think the general curvature and general root to crown ratio seems to be about right for a sperm whale, as @Macrophyseter suggested. Here is a Miocene-aged sperm whale tooth for reference. 

10090-11.jpg

Looks like a dead ringer, also enamel is very thin.

Neuville's figuration of worn Physeter teeth(4/5 nat.size):

ada6ghb.jpg

two different typers of coronal erosion(0,5 nat.size)

fernaristlanthc.jpg