Can I keep 'em?

Dewbunny

Ok, so, I bought 2 tons of rock from a local supplier. I live in Florida but the rock is from Alabama and it literally has Carboniferous plant fossils falling out of it,it's like every third rock has well defined fossil formations.

Now my questions are...

Do I need a FL state fossil license to keep them?

And...

Am I supposed to report them to the state of FL or anyone for that matter?

I know I need to have the license to dig or hunt in Florida. But this rock was bought and paid for ($309 for 4300 lbs) and it did not originate from the state of Florida.

Any advice is welcome and thank you in advance for even reading my post.

Just make out a check to me and everything will be fine.  :)   Just kidding.  I think your puting in too much thought into this.  You bought em, they are yours.  Pus they are in the invertebrate catagory.

RB

• I found this Informative 1

An obscure forum rule states that you must show us pictures of these lovely fossils or you have to remand them to us. :P:D

In all seriousness, you should be ok, legally. That’s quite the load of rock to go through! 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I don't know what your original intent for the load of rock was, however, if it were mine I would take a brief detour. I would contact the supplier and determine where it was quarried. Armed with this info you can establish place of origin and age. ID of the plant type would be a great ($) bonus. Then, if you have the time and patience, sell individual pieces, like those pictured. If you have experience with that famous auction site, great; or possibly offer material here on the Forum, if you are eligible to sell. I would think you could get your $309 back and still have a big ole pile of rock for whatever. Good luck, have fun.   

• I found this Informative 3

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

8 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

; or possibly offer material here on the Forum, if you are eligible to sell.

She isnt. 

Access to the Sales Forum is delayed, until the member has posted a number of substantive posts to the Forum. ;) 

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

36 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

I don't know what your original intent for the load of rock was, 

Bought it for the flowerbeds. And it was the cheapest rock they offer. It's called 'Red Cedar Bark' rock.

If what you've pictured here is indicative of what you're finding abundantly in your rock pile then consider yourself LUCKY!  Those are some nice fossils!  I agree with the other folks...they came from out of state and you bought and paid for them. The State of Florida has absolutely no claim on them!  They're all yours!

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

38 minutes ago, Fruitbat said:

If what you've pictured here is indicative of what you're finding abundantly in your rock pile then consider yourself LUCKY!  Those are some nice fossils!  I agree with the other folks...they came from out of state and you bought and paid for them. The State of Florida has absolutely no claim on them!  They're all yours!

-Joe

yup

6 hours ago, Dewbunny said:

Here's just a few I found off the top...

20171106_112208.jpg

20171105_110734.jpg

20171105_110314.jpg

20171105_110210.jpg

Pics 1, 3 &4 look like Sigillaria leaf scars and pic 2 is a Neuropteris leaf.

Beautiful acquisitions to your collection. 

Welcome to the forum!

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.