furblim

I have had this fossil since I was a child but have never had it identified. Now my son is curious about it so we thought we would see if we could find out something about it. It was found by an uncle near Praha, TX (between San Antonio and Houston) about 40 years ago if memory serves. The fossil in the middle is 1 3/8" x 3/8". The stone has a strange feel that's hard to describe. Maybe like clay or really old chewed-up chewing gum! Thanks for your help. (And sorry for the tags - I needed three so made some stuff up.)

DSC05141.JPG

Welcome to the Forum.  :) 

This looks like a cross section through a high spired gastropod, something like "Turritella sp".

It looks like it may be preserved in chert.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks! Is there any way to estimate how old it is? I see that Texas was underwater about 265,000,000 years ago. So is that a reasonable estimate for the age of the fossil? (I know it's more than 40 years!)

33 minutes ago, furblim said:

Oh, and are the circles and lines around the sides worm fossils?

Those are maybe brach or bivalve cross sections. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Gastropod cross section

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Archived