I am unsure if this is a fossil or not.

Nate c

I found an unusual specimen today in a creek. It is embedded in limestone next to some quartz nodules. I did not have any tools on me so I could not get the specimen out of the lime stone and was unable to take it home. So I quickly took a picture before leaving, not thinking about scale, but i'd say it is about 4 inches in diameter. To me it (by it I mean the visible parts of the specimen) looks like a crinoid calyx. If anyone can tell me additional information about this specimen from just this blurry picture then please do so!

5a07cd3178319_20171111_15480190.thumb.jpg.54e2fb136c626f38f36c710d02d72978.jpg

I have added the picture however, the image is rather large as I am not very familiar with this sort of text editor. Just for feature reference, how do you shrink images ? Sorry that this rather irrelevant. 

looks like a section of crinoid calyx, but too blurry to say much more

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve seen similar looking specimens that were somewhat eroded nodules of calcite, but this has me thinking calyx because of two places I think I see crinoid segments... wish it wasn’t so blurry!

CB1FA5E7-CA10-4983-A12E-C29EA2793C31.jpeg

Archived