Matoaka beach, Veterans Day

Miocene_Mason

First and foremost, I'd like to thank all those who serve or who have served in the U.S. Military for their service, and wish them a happy Veterans day a little late. 

So I decided to go on a hunt to matoaka, got there about or a little before low tide. They have sitters to borrow there, which is a nice gesture but unless you hope to pick up some sand and find a 3 inch meg they help about as much as a flu shot helps a head ache. As an added bonus, the air was a crisp 30 some degrees (low 30s) and the water much colder. As i went down the steps a fellow fossil hunter headed up and said " Good luck! There's a lot of sand..." which is not a great omen. Nevertheless, I forged ahead. I started along the cliffs, I had been advised to look at fallen dirt for megs, which didn't pan out. I started picking up complete chesapectans until realizing there were copious amounts, so I picked ended up with about twenty (no double valves this time) so I'm going to have to have a competition for chesapectans, anyone game for that? I found about half an ecphora, purty big too, and put it in my bag unfortunately though the bottom failed to seal due to sand and somehow it fell out. Once I realized this I combed the beach many times to no avail. Disheartened, I decided to try my luck for the waterline for sharks teeth instead. This turned out well, I got one shark vert and a few snaggle teeth, one looked like a meg at first (of course everything starts to look like one after a while) and some other various shark teeth, one possible patho. Rays teeth and ecphora pieces were also found and some coral (A. palmata). So all in all, a pretty good day once the fingers went numb. I am still on the prowl for the ecphora and meg though.....

Some of the finds:

IMG_0137.JPG

IMG_0149.JPG

IMG_0145.JPG

IMG_0147.JPG

IMG_0141.JPG

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

This is the possible patho, it's got a weird bump. Hard to see on the photos, normal one for comparison.

IMG_0138.JPG

IMG_0140.JPG

IMG_0151.PNG

IMG_0139.JPG

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Hi, nice stuff. I think the pathological tooth is indeed pathological and it is a Carcharhinus sp.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

46 minutes ago, josephstrizhak said:

Hi, nice stuff. I think the pathological tooth is indeed pathological and it is a Carcharhinus sp.

Thanks! It's my first pathological tooth then, yay!

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 minute ago, Ropterus said:

Nice finds! Though often few and far between, it is possible to find some nice teeth there.

Yeah, I forgot to mention i took about two hours Hunting. Not easy, but more land to walk on than brownies (which is important in cold months for me).

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, Nimravis said:

Great report and it looked like you had a good day, although a little chilly.

Thanks, wasn't incredibly cold, just the water makes everything colder.

Happy hunting,

Mason

14 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

Great haul Mason, I like the patho!

Thanks, I do too!

Happy hunting,

Mason

Glad you got out and had a good day! Man! 30 degrees? I was chilled today in that wind and mist, I bet it was 70 degrees, but overcast with a stiff wind, standing in water with no shirt!

I don't see how you could do it! Kin folk said "Jed move away from there"

You Sir, are of stout constitution!

6 hours ago, Peace river rat said:

Glad you got out and had a good day! Man! 30 degrees? I was chilled today in that wind and mist, I bet it was 70 degrees, but overcast with a stiff wind, standing in water with no shirt!

I don't see how you could do it! Kin folk said "Jed move away from there"

You Sir, are of stout constitution!

Thanks! It gets much colder than 30 here, sometimes we get break 0, but a winter is usually consistent 20s and 30s (except for last years 68 degree Christmas which was strange) and you get used to it. Maryland has got almost every era in its geologic history. Also it,s got good crabs which are worth roughing out the weather!

:crab:

Happy hunting,

Mason

8 hours ago, ynot said:

Nice finds!

Congratulations on the pathologic find.

Thanks!

Happy hunting,

Mason

13 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Thanks! It gets much colder than 30 here, sometimes we get break 0, but a winter is usually consistent 20s and 30s (except for last years 68 degree Christmas which was strange) and you get used to it. Maryland has got almost every era in its geologic history. Also it,s got good crabs which are worth roughing out the weather!

:crab:

I was born and raised in Ocala Fl, like transplanting a tropical plant, I might, just whither and die, there!

7 minutes ago, Peace river rat said:

I was born and raised in Ocala Fl, like transplanting a tropical plant, I might, just whither and die, there!

I do something kinda like that every winter, it's called hibernation:P

It's an ability granted to those of Mount Airy, MD, born and raised!

Happy hunting,

Mason

2 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

I do something kinda like that every winter, it's called hibernation:P

It's an ability granted to those of Mount Airy, MD, born and raised!

I would give it a try! If I thought my landlord would! :)

@WhodamanHD you're doing good. Keep looking for Ecphora. I found a hummer towards the base sticking out of the sand and mud a few months ago before moving to Utah. There are many Chesapecten. If you go after a big storm you're sure to find some bivalves. I have a couple from that location that are gorgeous. If you walk up the side on the left up north for a couple of hours you'll find some really nice Chesapecten. Have fun and excellent report.

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

3 hours ago, Fossil-Hound said:

@WhodamanHD you're doing good. Keep looking for Ecphora. I found a hummer towards the base sticking out of the sand and mud a few months ago before moving to Utah. There are many Chesapecten. If you go after a big storm you're sure to find some bivalves. I have a couple from that location that are gorgeous. If you walk up the side on the left up north for a couple of hours you'll find some really nice Chesapecten. Have fun and excellent report.

Thanks, the hunt for the ecphora never ends! I walked until there were enough fallen trees to make it hard to carry my collection bag. I'll get some waders or something and go again, preferably on a warmer day, maybe then the elusive snail will show itself! 

Happy hunting,

Mason

On 11/15/2017 at 12:57 PM, WhodamanHD said:

Thanks, the hunt for the ecphora never ends! I walked until there were enough fallen trees to make it hard to carry my collection bag. I'll get some waders or something and go again, preferably on a warmer day, maybe then the elusive snail will show itself! 

They are out there. You'll find one!

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

5 minutes ago, Kimi64 said:

Good job! I stink at finding whole Chesapectens at Matoaka. Two trips so far & all I found were lots of broken pieces. 

Really? Did you walk the whole beach (it’s worth it), the whole ones tend to be closer to the beach. If you still have trouble I’d be happy to send you some. Good luck!

Happy hunting,

Mason

Thank you that kind offer. I may take you up on that, but since I have only been there twice so far, I have faith that I will find some. At least Matoaka hasn't been a total bust. :)15113742747481850120251.thumb.jpg.bf9158986fd02a4d2a911c3cbca6d46c.jpg

9 minutes ago, Kimi64 said:

Thank you that kind offer. I may take you up on that, but since I have only been there twice so far, I have faith that I will find some. At least Matoaka hasn't been a total bust. :)15113742747481850120251.thumb.jpg.bf9158986fd02a4d2a911c3cbca6d46c.jpg

Nice! I’ve yet to find one of those yet, but persistence pays. Keep looking, there not uncommon once you train your eyes to pick them out. I have way to many, my house is filling up with fossils now:P I’ve been hitting all the sites along the cliffs over the last few months. I think I may try out plum point, ive heard wonderful things about it. Just need a boat and some waterproof boots, and hopefully a nice day. Good luck again, and happy Thanksgiving as well!

Happy hunting,

Mason

Matoaka is great for Chesapectins. I've found at least two different species, but mostly C. nefrens. Went out in July and collected a couple dozen for the museum where I volunteer, having a couple too many at home. Some even have pearl buds. I love the color variations. Here's my biggest baby, one that stays proudly on my shelf: 

I refuse to give up my childish wonder at the world.

Archived