The best of my Ammonite collection

Bobby Rico

3 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

That seems a bit rude, I would never take a fossil I knew some one left and once I found out I'd certainly give it back. 'Tis one of the unspoken laws of fossil Hunting.

I left it because there was no way I could carry it out on my own without falling in the creek and busting my tailbone or something. It was a slow moving creek with slippery rocks and bottom. He didn’t tell me he went back and got it. He invited me over to his house a couple months later and there it was sitting at his house. He admitted he’d gone back to get it. Not the best kind of friend to have.

3 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Thanks for sharing the post. I suspected there had to be ammonites in Alabama. 

So the post says the ammonite was 17”, but would have been 4 feet if complete. I’m trying to figure out how that determination was made. I’ve never heard of anything like that. I know some that I have found in the 12-18 inch range were not much bigger than that when whole, because I found numerous other ammonites and oysters and other shells right next to them and a few of them appeared to be basically whole. I have definitely seen some that had lost part of their shell or it didn’t fossilize and were smaller as a result.

I don’t understand how he figured the original size from 17” up to 4’. Maybe someone can educate me. Anyone?

Not to say a 4-6 foot ammonite didn’t exist, I’m certain they do. I think I saw a 45” or something close to that on here somewhere. It may have been on

@JohnJ’s collections of pics.

3 hours ago, caldigger said:

That's why one should always carry an empty backpack with them in the field. Even if you don't find anything, an empty one doesn't weigh anything to carry.

We were out camping on the creek and had decided to take a hike up stream. It was my first time there, but the guys I was with all knew the place well. All of our gear was back at camp unfortunately.

18 hours ago, doushantuo said:

A lot of Puzosiids grew to a  pretty large size.

And Pachydiscids

parapuzosia-size.jpg

Help!!!!!!!!

And i can't swim either! 

oh, yeah, calm down Adam, they're extinct. 

Ahem. 

51 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Thanks  you all for the kind comments and info. @doushantuo @nala @fossilized6s

@KimTexan for the stories.

@Wrangellian for catching  my mistake . 11. Stephanoceras and Belemnite was found in Sherborne Dorset I have added one more photo of this specimen .

A4BBA7B9-0237-45D4-969B-60D0835413B4.jpeg

Beautiful! :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 hour ago, Bobby Rico said:

you would need a BIGGER BOAT to take that ammonite home.

But You would have enough calamari to last years!

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

5 hours ago, Aurelius said:

Nice Ilminster Harpoceras. Those are hard to find in good condition and with complete centres.

Thank you very much and you have a good eye that is my favourite Ammonite. It has been prepped to the septal margin. It is a showy specimen.  Cheers Bobby 

0F6BB759-DAEA-482C-B0CB-EBE8E5B04CC6.jpeg

Just one more from my collection

18. Dactylioceras commune

Whitby Formation, Lower Jurassic; Yorkshire coast uk

48676ADD-E9D8-478F-A2DA-7A85C31E245A.jpeg

Thank you all again for the very kind comments on this post .

cheers Bobby 

Very nice collection.   There are a couple of UK dealers at the Tucson Fossil show that have local ammonites, always a nice display.

Thank you @Troodon  a friend of mine did have a spot at the Tucson show a few years back . He sold a lot of really nice uk ammonites but his wife has since band him from going . He spent way more than he sold . He did enhance  his own collection a good bit. 

Thank you very much @PFOOLEY 

I have been collecting ammonites for more than 20years so it was my pleasure to show them on TFF.

All the very kind comments I have received has really made my week.

cheers Bobby 

B36EF071-1D09-47C1-A1CD-15A14C409171.jpeg

3 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

Thank you @Troodon  a friend of mine did have a spot at the Tucson show a few years back . He sold a lot of really nice uk ammonites but his wife has since band him from going . He spent way more than he sold . He did enhance  his own collection a good bit. 

Thank you very much @PFOOLEY 

I have been collecting ammonites for more than 20years so it was my pleasure to show them on TFF.

All the very kind comments I have received has really made my week.

cheers Bobby 

WOW ! 

That's a lovely display of (mainly) trilobites and ammonites ! 

I think you have more Moroccan trilos than I do! 

Good collection, Bobby. :envy:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Thank you @Tidgy's Dad and you do have some very good observations skills. I do have a few Morocco trilobite , Swedish trilobites and one from the States on the back shelve too.

thanks again and I am hoping too see some more of your Morocco trilobites soon .

cheers Bobby 

B4E9F23C-06A0-4F99-85AA-9180623F3734.jpeg

My favourite trilobite Beautiful pyritised Gerastos ainrasifus trilobite L. Devonian Morocco

@Tidgy's Dad

On 11/17/2017 at 2:05 PM, Bobby Rico said:

Thank you @Tidgy's Dad and you do have some very good observations skills. I do have a few Morocco trilobite , Swedish trilobites and one from the States on the back shelve too.

thanks again and I am hoping too see some more of your Morocco trilobites soon .

cheers Bobby 

B4E9F23C-06A0-4F99-85AA-9180623F3734.jpeg

My favourite trilobite Beautiful pyritised Gerastos ainrasifus trilobite L. Devonian Morocco

@Tidgy's Dad

1 hour ago, Bobby Rico said:

19.Ludwigia Murchisonae

Isle Of Skye

C035A6DB-D4BC-42D3-AE82-23A4F360B879.jpeg

Love the trilo. 

I'll be posting some more of mine at some point soon, hopefully. 

The ammonites are beautiful . 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

Wow! That is beautiful! Is that the natural iridescence of its shell or was there some mineralization or other alteration that gives it that color? I’ve never seen a green iridescence like that.

Thanks for sharing.

2 hours ago, KimTexan said:

Wow! That is beautiful! Is that the natural iridescence of its shell or was there some mineralization or other alteration that gives it that color? I’ve never seen a green iridescence like that.

Thanks for sharing.

Opalized, it’s usually called Ammolite, must of it comes from Canadian low quality crushed ammonites and is used for jewelry.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Hi Kim and thanks for you kind words. As I understand it when the ammonite was alive, nacre was the main component of the shell: after the organism’s death, the shell fossilised and formed aragonite. Then is colour is made by diffraction of the light rays passing through the aragonite probably like the same way light reflects the colours on a butterfly wing.  That is what I believe I maybe wrong.

cheers Bobby 

@Bobby Rico and @WhodamanHD I have a large chunk of rock covered with aragonite, rough and a bit ugly, but cool in its own right. My chunk is from a septarian nodule that formed around an ammonite. Mine looks like the ugly stepchild compared to that beauty.

I had to go look aragonite and Ammolite up.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ammolite

“Ammolite is an opal-like organic gemstone-found primarily along the eastern slopes of the Rocky Mountains of North America. It is made of the fossilized shells of ammonites, which in turn are composed primarily of aragonite, the same mineral contained in nacre, with a microstructure inherited from the shell. It is one of few biogenic gemstones; others include amber and pearl.” Evidently it obtained gem status in 1981.

It is quite striking. Thank you gentlemen for the little primer on the topic.

14EC76AB-F538-4528-98F6-8F3C24FAA77E.jpeg

On 11/17/2017 at 4:12 AM, Bobby Rico said:

cheers Bobby 

Bobby, 

Is that picture of your collection?! That is such a cool collection! I think I could spend hours looking them over. The trilobites are way cool and big, but I’m an ammonite lover. I’ve never bought one, but it was a large ammonite I found that gave me the fossil bug.

I even have kind of an ammonite shaped scar on the back of my hand from where an ammonite bit me, so to speak. While out hunting ammonites one day I pulled one out of a cliff face and it ended up smashed my hand, which is where I got the gash that caused the scar. It’s my big ammonite tale. LOL

Do you have those in a gallery on TFF? I’d enjoy seeing them closer up.

Hi @KimTexan thanks again for your kind words. Yes that is a picture of part of my collection,  I did rearranged it on the weekend so a little more ordered. Yes me too I prefer ammonites to trilobites but do have a small draw full of uk trilobites most are partials but some are really nice full specimens. Sorry I don’t have a gallery page . Have you got a gallery page ? I would like to see some of your treasures.

cheers Bobby 

Archived