Bobby Rico

The best of my Ammonite collection

KimTexan
3 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

That seems a bit rude, I would never take a fossil I knew some one left and once I found out I'd certainly give it back. 'Tis one of the unspoken laws of fossil Hunting.

I left it because there was no way I could carry it out on my own without falling in the creek and busting my tailbone or something. It was a slow moving creek with slippery rocks and bottom. He didn’t tell me he went back and got it. He invited me over to his house a couple months later and there it was sitting at his house. He admitted he’d gone back to get it. Not the best kind of friend to have.

3 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Thanks for sharing the post. I suspected there had to be ammonites in Alabama. 

So the post says the ammonite was 17”, but would have been 4 feet if complete. I’m trying to figure out how that determination was made. I’ve never heard of anything like that. I know some that I have found in the 12-18 inch range were not much bigger than that when whole, because I found numerous other ammonites and oysters and other shells right next to them and a few of them appeared to be basically whole. I have definitely seen some that had lost part of their shell or it didn’t fossilize and were smaller as a result.

I don’t understand how he figured the original size from 17” up to 4’. Maybe someone can educate me. Anyone?

Not to say a 4-6 foot ammonite didn’t exist, I’m certain they do. I think I saw a 45” or something close to that on here somewhere. It may have been on

@JohnJ’s collections of pics.

3 hours ago, caldigger said:

That's why one should always carry an empty backpack with them in the field. Even if you don't find anything, an empty one doesn't weigh anything to carry.

We were out camping on the creek and had decided to take a hike up stream. It was my first time there, but the guys I was with all knew the place well. All of our gear was back at camp unfortunately.

doushantuo

A lot of Puzosiids grew to a  pretty large size.

And Pachydiscids

parapuzosia-size.jpg

nala

Very nice collection!

Bobby Rico

Thanks  you all for the kind comments and info. @doushantuo @nala @fossilized6s

@KimTexan for the stories.

@Wrangellian for catching  my mistake . 11. Stephanoceras and Belemnite was found in Sherborne Dorset I have added one more photo of this specimen .

A4BBA7B9-0237-45D4-969B-60D0835413B4.jpeg

Tidgy's Dad
18 hours ago, doushantuo said:

A lot of Puzosiids grew to a  pretty large size.

And Pachydiscids

parapuzosia-size.jpg

Help!!!!!!!!

And i can't swim either! 

oh, yeah, calm down Adam, they're extinct. 

Ahem. 

51 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Thanks  you all for the kind comments and info. @doushantuo @nala @fossilized6s

@KimTexan for the stories.

@Wrangellian for catching  my mistake . 11. Stephanoceras and Belemnite was found in Sherborne Dorset I have added one more photo of this specimen .

A4BBA7B9-0237-45D4-969B-60D0835413B4.jpeg

Beautiful! :)

Bobby Rico

Thank you @Tidgy's Dad  according to that size chart you would need a BIGGER BOAT to take that ammonite home.

ynot
1 hour ago, Bobby Rico said:

you would need a BIGGER BOAT to take that ammonite home.

But You would have enough calamari to last years!

Aurelius

Nice Ilminster Harpoceras. Those are hard to find in good condition and with complete centres.

Bobby Rico
5 hours ago, Aurelius said:

Nice Ilminster Harpoceras. Those are hard to find in good condition and with complete centres.

Thank you very much and you have a good eye that is my favourite Ammonite. It has been prepped to the septal margin. It is a showy specimen.  Cheers Bobby 

0F6BB759-DAEA-482C-B0CB-EBE8E5B04CC6.jpeg

Bobby Rico

Just one more from my collection

18. Dactylioceras commune

Whitby Formation, Lower Jurassic; Yorkshire coast uk

48676ADD-E9D8-478F-A2DA-7A85C31E245A.jpeg

Thank you all again for the very kind comments on this post .

cheers Bobby 

Troodon

Very nice collection.   There are a couple of UK dealers at the Tucson Fossil show that have local ammonites, always a nice display.

PFOOLEY

Top notch collection, Bobby...I will be watching this thread! 

Bobby Rico

Thank you @Troodon  a friend of mine did have a spot at the Tucson show a few years back . He sold a lot of really nice uk ammonites but his wife has since band him from going . He spent way more than he sold . He did enhance  his own collection a good bit. 

Thank you very much @PFOOLEY 

I have been collecting ammonites for more than 20years so it was my pleasure to show them on TFF.

All the very kind comments I have received has really made my week.

cheers Bobby 

B36EF071-1D09-47C1-A1CD-15A14C409171.jpeg

Tidgy's Dad
3 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

Thank you @Troodon  a friend of mine did have a spot at the Tucson show a few years back . He sold a lot of really nice uk ammonites but his wife has since band him from going . He spent way more than he sold . He did enhance  his own collection a good bit. 

Thank you very much @PFOOLEY 

I have been collecting ammonites for more than 20years so it was my pleasure to show them on TFF.

All the very kind comments I have received has really made my week.

cheers Bobby 

B36EF071-1D09-47C1-A1CD-15A14C409171.jpeg

WOW ! 

That's a lovely display of (mainly) trilobites and ammonites ! 

I think you have more Moroccan trilos than I do! 

Good collection, Bobby. :envy:

Bobby Rico

Thank you @Tidgy's Dad and you do have some very good observations skills. I do have a few Morocco trilobite , Swedish trilobites and one from the States on the back shelve too.

thanks again and I am hoping too see some more of your Morocco trilobites soon .

cheers Bobby 

B4E9F23C-06A0-4F99-85AA-9180623F3734.jpeg

My favourite trilobite Beautiful pyritised Gerastos ainrasifus trilobite L. Devonian Morocco

@Tidgy's Dad