Crinoind Calyx Extraction

Nate c

I have found a large rock containing a crinoid calyx. I am deciding whether or not to extract the fossil from the rock it is in and if I do extract it, how should I go about doing that? If you have any additional information you can tell me about this fossil please do so!

cropped.thumb.JPG.375cf0e95d25a3fdfbfbf86464f7eaa3.JPG

croppedv2.thumb.jpg.356a09085b0cccfaa0a63007eac64314.jpg

I have found a large rock containing a crinoid calyx. I am deciding whether or not to extract the fossil from the rock it is in and if I do extract it, how should I go about doing that? If you have any additional information you can tell me about this fossil please do so!cropped.thumb.JPG.375cf0e95d25a3fdfbfbf86464f7eaa3.JPGcroppedv2.thumb.jpg.356a09085b0cccfaa0a63007eac64314.jpg

That's a cool find!

It looks pretty fragmented and worn,  so I'm not sure how clean it would come out.

I would just cut the excess rock from around it and leave it as is.

Steve

I'm not really seeing a crinoid calyx here, looks to me like some quartz or some other mineral. 

But I'm interested to see whether it is or not after preparation

My guess on this is it is a fossil, but it is geologically distorted and unrecognizable.

It could be "geodized" in the manor of Midwestern sedimentary geodes.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

5 hours ago, Nate c said:

I have found a large rock containing a crinoid calyx. I am deciding whether or not to extract the fossil from the rock it is in and if I do extract it, how should I go about doing that? If you have any additional information you can tell me about this fossil please do so!

cropped.thumb.JPG.375cf0e95d25a3fdfbfbf86464f7eaa3.JPG

croppedv2.thumb.jpg.356a09085b0cccfaa0a63007eac64314.jpg

It looks very fragmented whatever it is so you won't likely have much luck, but I'll suggest anyways.

What mineral is the "fossil" made of? Is it some kind of silicate or is it a carbonate (quartz or calcite)? Try scratching it with an iron nail in a tiny part on the underside if possible and if it does scratch it's calcite, if it doesn't it's probably quartz. 

Now, if it is calcite you're pretty much out of luck except for maybe chiseling away some of the excess rock. If it's quartz, the rock it's in looks to be some kind of calcareous stone (limestone?) so putting it in diluted vinegar should, in theory, dissolve away some of the rock and leave the "fossil" in quartz behind. But be careful to make sure the fossil isn't being dissolved as well, so make sure to watch it carefully. 

That's about as good as I can do. 

Where in Missouri was this collected? I just returned from a trip in SE Iowa Looking for crinoids. My initial thought was a squashed crinoid calyx like the one posted here that I found on this trip. But after scrutinizing the size of your find, I immediately changed thoughts towards a "geode like" structure. 

DSC_0247.thumb.JPG.1f90f877444b95ee06af09463d3e3180.JPG. DSC_0246.thumb.JPG.fb6f1f43302c571ffb1cc91b0c0d334c.JPG.

• 2 weeks later...

Often we find geodes that have the crinoid calx or brachiopod inside, I do not know any way to remove the geode, as it would fracture. Wash it well and look closer for any plates or arm bases.  I have found geodized cups in the Mississippian in Indiana.  Packy

Archived