Pennsylvanian oddity

gturner333

I recently found this odd item and am trying to determine if it is a fossil, maybe a bivalve, or just geological. I found it at the Pennsylvanian site in Jacksboro, TX at Lost Creek Reservoir. 

The scale hash marks are 1mm.

Thanks for any help.

unkown 7 bot.jpg

unkown 7 closeup.jpg

unkown 7 top.jpg

unkown 7 side 2.jpg

unkown 7 side 1.jpg

I concur with JimB88: seed. Fossilized seeds occur in the dark Finis Shales. Could also be more modern seed such as variety of Hackberry. First photo looks most like a Hackberry seed. Show to V. Friedman, DPS member. She has lots of fossil seeds from the area.

What is the makeup of the piece: limestone/calcite or modern woody?

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I do know the person in the DPS and will ask her. This is definitely not modern. It sinks like s rock (fossil) in water. It does look like some of the pictures i've deen of trigonocarpum and Cardiocarpon. 

Makeup of item is more limestone. 

Thanks for the link, Innocentx. I'm starting to lean toward Trigonocarpum, but need to research some more. This is great - my first seed. 

Here is a Trigonocarpis sp, from that same site I collected a few years age,It does look similar. sorry about the picture.

P, Trigonocarpus seed.jpg

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

This may help. Scroll down to @fiddlehead 's ID. 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

I have collected many fusulinids at Jacksboro and they often have the wavy lines like this fossil. But they are never this large or wide. The cross sections also are quite different with fusulinids having circular patterns of their chambers. Although, sometimes those chamber pattern are eroded away. They also tend to taper off at both ends. Thanks for your help. 

Archived