Eocene Leaf ID Help

Nimravis

Today I was going through some drawers and came across this leaf fossil that I acquired from a friend about 20 years ago. It was labeled Elm Leaf Eocene with not location. I am even wondering if this is an Elm leaf. 

Does anyone recognize this Fossil and location?

6FB3979C-4CEA-411E-9D5F-CB15A17244DA.thumb.jpeg.56866fb74691e5beed524b8932b118e7.jpeg

11 hours ago, doushantuo said:

botanycenozo

No outtakes possible,however:useful!!!!

Denk et al/CJES

Try this... ulmus2005.pdf

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Could be Fort Union formation, which is now classified as paleocene, but was once classified as eocene (I think).

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

A lot of Eocene leaves out of Douglas Pass, CO. (Green River Formation) but are not shiny like that - could be someone coated it with Butvar or some similar preservative.

Maybe something similar to Exbucklandia?

link

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

4 hours ago, King of Snarge said:

A lot of Eocene leaves out of Douglas Pass, CO. (Green River Formation) but are not shiny like that - could be someone coated it with Butvar or some similar preservative.

It is coated with something, but not by me.

The leaf matches well with material from the Paleocene Fort Union Formation of Glendive, Montana. 

The protective coating is also reminiscent on many of these specimens I have seen over the years.

Trochodendroides genetrix Manchester 2014 is the new combination for numerous morphotypes previously classified as Cercidiphyllum arcticum Brown 1962.

Manchester, S.R. (2014)
Revisions to Roland Brown's North American Paleocene flora.
Sborník Národního muzea v Praze - Řada B, 70(3-4):153-210   PDF LINK

"Brown’s concept also included leaves of Zizyphoides flabellum"

figures from:

Brown, R.W. (1962)
Paleocene flora of the Rocky Mountains and Great Plains.
United States Geological Survey Professional Paper, 375:1-119   PDF LINK

IMG1.thumb.jpg.cb35070344f9b6c3761d21a9622239ed.jpg

IMG2.thumb.jpg.efa601b93712a040740080e438e90803.jpg
  • I found this Informative 2

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

This may be a silly question, but is the leaf itself preserved or is that an imprint?

In the summer of 1980 I found similar leaves in Idaho. They were in an embankment/road cut layered between layers of what appeared to be ancient volcanic ash several feet thick. They were perfectly and flawlessly preserved intact. They were smaller than that though and were not of any species existent in Idaho when I found them.

Interestingly, I thought I can see a nice resemblance in these pictures:

6FB3979C-4CEA-411E-9D5F-CB15A17244DA.jpeg.aad3c1fea86e1bbde48bdbedd21255d3.thumb.jpeg.ca422788cf6e10f007aa57f3d153b701.jpeg1-s2.0-S0034666709000037-pl1.thumb.jpg.bcf89ff86b5d373c62e1b6cc1125ed61.jpg

comparative specimens from here

Thomas Mann

My Library

Steve Manchester agrees it is: Trochodendroides

Q: A friend had this leaf in his collection, unfortunately without a locality label. 

It looks very similar to Fort Union material.  Is it Trochodendroides genetrix

A: Looks good to me as Trochodendroides.  I'm not sure about the species, but you might be right.

• I found this Informative 3

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png