Greens Mill Run, NC Mammal Tooth ID Assistance

AshHendrick

Found two things at different times a while back in the creek that I am in need of direction on trying to ID. I find horse teeth some at GMR but am hesitant to assume that's what either is  - not just because of the small size but because the patterns are a bit different from the horse teeth I've found - though none 100% complete for me to say that is more than an armatures eye. Any assistance to ID this would be greatly appreciated! 

I copied the main concerns from FAQs on posting here, so hopefully I was able to provide enough detail for some assistance.

1- LOCATION Greenville, NC Greens mill Run. (Green Mill Run)

2- GEOLOGY/Formation Generally this location is part of the york town formation, Miocene-Pliocene-cretaceous

4- ASSEMBLAGE Shark teeth (mostly goblin, crow, makkos, tiger near by) Belemnites and whale bone.

Items are shown next to th e inch side of a ruler. 

IMG_4867.JPG

IMG_4868.JPG

IMG_4870.JPG

IMG_4871.JPG

IMG_4869.JPG

2. The other tooth

IMG_4860.thumb.JPG.453232ba421fa1c4cdcf033e9125c7c2.JPGIMG_4859.thumb.JPG.a78377148956fd2cc618e91d5010562c.JPGIMG_4858.thumb.JPG.5f5cecfece53831216adf5f8cd5ec7ab.JPGIMG_4857.thumb.JPG.02dfbe50154d8ffb6ad5496f8329ddb6.JPG

Thanks! Was hopeful it might be something more interesting but that's still cool! How difficult would it be to try and get an exact species out of these teeth? I have read that horse teeth can be difficult to ID to that level but I'm pretty anal about my cataloging and would be thrilled if it's possible to determine - willing to put in the leg work myself if need be, but with my limited knowledge figured I can at least get started in a direction from input here to narrow the list down! :)

Your chances of getting an accurate species-level identification from isolated horse teeth (especially damaged ones) are practically NIL!  Many of the so-called 'species' of horse were originally established based on isolated teeth and a majority of them have been invalidated.  The enamel pattern of horse premolars and molars can change dramatically as the tooth becomes worn so what appears to be a diagnostic pattern often turns out to be the result of ontogeny and wear rather than differences between species.

However...if you are THAT anal-retentive about your labeling, the section on horses in my pdf library here on The Fossil Forum might be a good place for you to start.  Here's a link:  LINK. I hope you like to do a lot of reading!

Good luck!  You're going to need it!

-Joe

• I found this Informative 2

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

I really appreciate all of the information and at the least I will learn a good deal of useful info if I can't get a species out reading through all of that :)