Max-fossils

Hi all,

I have been having trouble finding a good guide to use in order to ID fossil seashells (mainly gastropods and bivalves) of the Neogene-Quaternary of Western Europe (mainly Belgium/Netherlands). So, I'm turning to you guys: does anyone of you have a nice up-to-date website/online paper that I could use in order to help me ID all of my different seashells? Preferable with clear photos/drawings of the different species.

Thanks in advance!

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, CharlotteG said:

Hoi Charlotte, leuk om je hier op TFF te zien! ;) 

(Ik ben @world_of_fossils op Instagram). 

Nou, super bedankt voor die website, deze zal zeker nuttig zij voor mij! 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

@Max-fossils

I know this is from the eastern US but it may help get you in the right family or genus with some of your specimens.

http://neogeneatlas.org/

Cheers,

SA2

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

On 11/27/2017 at 4:10 PM, SailingAlongToo said:

@Max-fossils

I know this is from the eastern US but it may help get you in the right family or genus with some of your specimens.

http://neogeneatlas.org/

Cheers,

SA2

Already bookmarked this one before. ;) Thanks though!

But, it's obviously not very useful for me to find the species of my European shells.

On 11/27/2017 at 3:03 PM, CharlotteG said:

Graag gedaan :) Ik had de lonk trouwens al gelegd... de foto’s van je vorige vondsten kwamen me bekend voor ;) 

Ha, verbaast me niet! ^_^ 

Max Derème

• 3 months later...

About the quaternary mraine fauna you can also use recent shell's guide!

Look also  in the Nederlandse Malacologische Vereniging Facebook group!

Regards,

Bathollovian

On 3/15/2018 at 5:50 PM, Bathollovian said:

About the quaternary mraine fauna you can also use recent shell's guide!

Look also  in the Nederlandse Malacologische Vereniging Facebook group!

I do use recent shell guides too, I have a handful of them at home. But the thing is that most of my fossil finds are Eemian (late Pleistocene). And because there was a big Ice Age in between the Eemian and now, many species became extinct while new ones came by. Of course, a good number of the species are still the same, but most changed. The different genera are still the same though. So I do sometimes use recent shell guides in order to find out the family/genus and research further from there, but it's not the best.

Anyways, in the meanwhile (I did make this topic 5 months ago) I bought a really good book to help me with bivalve, scaphopod and chitons from the Dutch coasts. It's called "De Fossiele Schelpen van de Nederlandse Kust", written by P. W. Moerdijk and a handful of other scientists. The second part, with the gastropods, is still in the making, and should come out in the not-too-distant future. 

I also don't use Facebook (due to bad experiences), so I rather not use the Facebook group. I do have some of the issues of Spirula as reference though :)

Thanks for the help though!

Je vois que tu habites Paris. Tu parles français donc? 

Max Derème

• 1 month later...

Dear Max, 

Sorry for the delay I don't check the forum very often. I should speak French, but I suppose it is better here to use English !

If you are looking for identification for eemian material I think one of the best personn for this is Tom Meijer. He has worked on dutch quaternary marine and non marine malacofauna and has published paper on eemian fauna. You must see his website : http://members.upc.nl/t.meijer64/paginas/te-intro.htm If you have special problem in identification I can transmit to him your picture. 

Regards,

Bathollovian

2 hours ago, Bathollovian said:

Dear Max, 

Sorry for the delay I don't check the forum very often. I should speak French, but I suppose it is better here to use English !

If you are looking for identification for eemian material I think one of the best personn for this is Tom Meijer. He has worked on dutch quaternary marine and non marine malacofauna and has published paper on eemian fauna. You must see his website : http://members.upc.nl/t.meijer64/paginas/te-intro.htm If you have special problem in identification I can transmit to him your picture. 

Thanks a lot, this is really helpful! I bookmarked the website in my browser. :) 

Max Derème

Archived