Frilled Shark Teeth

Shellseeker

Saw this on the NEWS.  Frilled Shark, caught off of Portugal.  Interesting teeth.  Does anyone have any of these teeth fossil or otherwise?FrilledSharkTeeth.thumb.jpg.cd5286ddc2ff5ccc17822aa06cc6807d.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I don't have any personally, but if you're planning to be in the vicinity of Castelnuovo Berardenga Scalo, Asciano (Siena Province) Italy in the near future, there is apparently an open quarry where they're abundant!  Here's a link to an article that you might find interesting: 

Fulgosi, F.C., et al. (2009). A small fossil fish fauna, rich in Chlamydoselachus teeth, from the Late Pliocene of Tuscany (Siena, central Italy). Cainozoic Research, 6(1-2).

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

40 minutes ago, Fruitbat said:

I don't have any personally, but if you're planning to be in the vicinity of Castelnuovo Berardenga Scalo, Asciano (Siena Province) Italy in the near future, there is apparently an open quarry where they're abundant!  Here's a link to an article that you might find interesting: 

Fulgosi, F.C., et al. (2009). A small fossil fish fauna, rich in Chlamydoselachus teeth, from the Late Pliocene of Tuscany (Siena, central Italy). Cainozoic Research, 6(1-2).

-Joe

18 minutes ago, Troodon said:

5a0b42b76dfa5_Frill-Austira1a.thumb.jpg.a76763b346374b9e7879b0b3a94d133d.jpg5a0b42b14d87b_Frill-Austira1.jpg.aab794d5ddd15a9ebd5d03c384dd3df4.jpg

WoW!!!   Fast , IMPRESSIVE responses. I love TFF and the membership.  An great paper with really nice photos and comparisons.  I will read it , Joe

and Troodon, Nice colorful tooth... Initially , I did not realize that there are multiple "rows", each 5-6 teeth in Length...  Thanks Jack

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

If anyone does decide to collect there, I'm interested in acquiring a specimen or 2 for my collection.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Unfortunately the paper includes the following statement:

"Due to the recent accumulation of transported material on top of the outcropping sediment this operation has not been repeated and at the present time it is no longer possible to execute additional collecting."

:(

Don

Nice tooth, Troodon! I pondered this very thing a while ago. 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

16 hours ago, Northern Sharks said:

If anyone does decide to collect there, I'm interested in acquiring a specimen or 2 for my collection.

Let's get a group together and fly over there. I think @Kane would be useful for moving the overburden. :ighappy:

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

2 minutes ago, Shamalama said:

Let's get a group together and fly over there. I think @Kane would be useful for moving the overburden. :ighappy:

We can get Quarryman Dave to translate for us. I'm in!!!

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Lol. Are my services required? Payment is expected, and should be made in the globally accepted currency of beer. :P 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

2 hours ago, Northern Sharks said:

We can get Quarryman Dave to translate for us. I'm in!!!

2 hours ago, Kane said:

Lol. Are my services required? Payment is expected, and should be made in the globally accepted currency of beer. :P 

Hmmm... Italian beer is not world renowned. Looks like we'll have to swing up to Germany and visit @Ludwigia on his home turf.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

I would love to join the fun, except that I heard it is illegal to collect in Italy.

Frilled sharks are one of the stranger sharks to have swum in the earth's waters.

That is a wonderful specimen @Troodon !! Is it in Your collection?

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

8 minutes ago, ynot said:

Would love to see a thread on them.

Unlike my dinosaur collection I have very little of my shark tooth collection photographed and those that I've done are in isurus's big thread.  Someday will get the energy to do it.

9 minutes ago, Troodon said:

I have very little of my shark tooth collection photographed

Aww shucks! :(

10 minutes ago, Troodon said:

those that I've done are in isurus's big thread

I'll have to reparouse that thread.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Hi,

:rofl:

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

-Dave

Hmmm... Sushi and Sake in the shadow of Mt. Fuji? Strap your katana's on boys, I'm in!

-Dave

23 minutes ago, Shamalama said:

Hmmm... Sushi and Sake in the shadow of Mt. Fuji? Strap your katana's on boys, I'm in!

You can have that, I'll stick with steak and Sapporo

1 hour ago, Shamalama said:

Just say when! 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Archived