Frilled Shark Teeth

Shellseeker

Just came across this article and thought some of Y'all might like it.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/prehistoric-dinosaur-era-shark-insane-130946712.html

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Thanks Ynot,  Lots of great details in this version over the original article. plus a super photo of the actual shark!!

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

On 11/14/2017 at 11:25 AM, Troodon said:

5a0b42b76dfa5_Frill-Austira1a.thumb.jpg.a76763b346374b9e7879b0b3a94d133d.jpg5a0b42b14d87b_Frill-Austira1.jpg.aab794d5ddd15a9ebd5d03c384dd3df4.jpg

Hi Troodon,

At the risk of being accused of being a member of the Secret Spelling Police, that label should read "Chlamydoselachus bracheri."  It's a great specimen and I wonder if it's the same one I was offered years ago.  When loads of fossils started coming out of Chile, a fossil dealer I will ID as MP showed me a rare jewel he found in a lot he purchased - a megamouth shark tooth.  I had not seen one before but he had seen a few from the Lee Creek Mine.  Armed with this knowledge, I found another one in another dealer's lot.  I showed it to Doug Donald, now deceased - a good guy, and he offered to trade me a frilled shark tooth from Austria.  I thought about it but declined.  Of course, it turned out that many other Chilean megamouth teeth appeared on the market after that and I haven't had another shot at a frilled shark from Austria.  They are  rare enough that they are generally not for sale.  You have to have something equally special in order to trade for one..  

A couple of specimens from the Late Cretaceous of British Columbia were available in the 90's.  There were a couple of collectors who had ammonites, other mollusks, crabs, and some shark teeth..

There's a site in northern California as well.  I scouted the area on two separate occasions about 15 years ago but came up empty.

Jess

On 11/15/2017 at 12:18 PM, ynot said:

I would love to join the fun, except that I heard it is illegal to collect in Italy.

Frilled sharks are one of the stranger sharks to have swum in the earth's waters.

That is a wonderful specimen @Troodon !! Is it in Your collection?

Hi Tony,

You're right.  It is illegal to collect fossils in Italy.  I believe it is also illegal to export them now.

Jess

• I found this Informative 1