Baryonyx Tooth?

Meatasaurus93

I picked this tooth up recently and wanted to get the forum's input on the ID. It was Identified as Baryonyx. The tooth measures exactly 1cm in length and is from  Wealden, Sussex. I have attached pictures below.

Thank you

bar1.JPG

bar2.JPG

bar3.jpg

it's lovely. 

it was identified as Baronyx by whom ?

I'm no expert on Baronyx but it looks like an icthyosaur to me. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Kinda reminds me of severnicthys

IMG_3231.JPG

IMG_3232.JPG

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

This image is of a few isolated baryonyx teeth, as for the tooth you have posted in comparison it does not seem to have the vertical serrations.

IoW+baryonychine+teeth+Martill+and+Hutt+1996.png

Hopefully @Troodon or Andy can help.

What you have is the tip of a tooth, its far from complete, so it may be very hard to diagnosis it.   The photos are not the best to really take a good look at the tooth so let ask a few questions.   Are there any vertical striations, facets, flutes visible, I do not see any but they can be on the opposite surface.   Any serrations visible, looking at the lower left, they can be very fine.   If there are no serrations is there a cutting edge think I see one.

sent you a pm for more info in seller

Remember seeing this specimen on the website. I have purchased a theropod tooth fragment along with many hybodont teeth and spines from the same seller.

It looks dinosaurian to me. Marine reptiles and crocodilian teeth usually have striations. However, I can't find much information about crocodile teeth from Wealden formation, so I think it is still a possible option.

The Tooth Fairy

Thank you all for your responses.

6 hours ago, Troodon said:

What you have is the tip of a tooth, its far from complete, so it may be very hard to diagnosis it.   The photos are not the best to really take a good look at the tooth so let ask a few questions.   Are there any vertical striations, facets, flutes visible, I do not see any but they can be on the opposite surface.   Any serrations visible, looking at the lower left, they can be very fine.   If there are no serrations is there a cutting edge think I see one.

sent you a pm for more info in seller

PM sent.

7 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Kinda reminds me of severnicthys

Beautiful tooth!

4 hours ago, Meatasaurus93 said:

Beautiful tooth!

Thanks, got it from @JohnBrewer. It has vertical strait ions on it like your tooth as well.m

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Archived