Help starting a long admired new hobby

Slaugbr1

I have just started searching recentley have alwayd been interested. Been finding some coral fossil chunks up by lake erie in ohio. Really got me interested in searching. I have been researching but i am still a little confused and coukd use some tips and instruction on what to be looking for and where to look! I have no one iam learning from trying to self teach and iam reading but the words are not translating to the search thank you!

962D38C5-934A-4F48-A942-0A3DA40CACBB.jpeg

Welcome to the forum, my knowledge Does not extend to Ohio, butn sure someone will be able to help you out. If you ever find yourself in Maryland and are looking for some sites, shot me a PM

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Welcome to TFF!

I suggest joining a local rock club. Most have field trips to good sites and many members that are willing to help a newcomer to find fossils.

They can also show You what can be found in Your area.

Good luck!

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Welcome to the Fossil Forum. :) 

Tony's advice is spot on.  Join a paleo/mineral/gem club, like the North Coast Fossil Club.

You will have special access to places, and meet like minded individuals who will  have more knowledge to share with you. 

This is a good website to start your research from. 

It is very very old information, and may no longer be accurate, but it will give you some pointers in the right direction. 

Good luck. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

On 11/14/2017 at 7:01 PM, Slaugbr1 said:

I have just started searching recentley have alwayd been interested. Been finding some coral fossil chunks up by lake erie in ohio. Really got me interested in searching. I have been researching but i am still a little confused and coukd use some tips and instruction on what to be looking for and where to look! I have no one iam learning from trying to self teach and iam reading but the words are not translating to the search thank you!

962D38C5-934A-4F48-A942-0A3DA40CACBB.jpeg

I know the Allegheny and Pottsville Groups, and this looks more like the Maxville Limestone than those units. 

For the most part the Pottsville and Allegheny are terrestial units dominated by coarse clastics (sandstones and conglomerates) with some minor shale and thin limestone interbeds. However, the majority of these units are lacustrine and not marine. There are marine layers, even marine limestone layers, especially in the western extensions of the units into Ohio, however the fauna of the Allegheny and Pottsville is dominated by brachiopods and bottom dwelling organisms such as bivalves, and rarer gastropods. Corals are reported i believe, but from what I know they're not a prevalent component of the faunal makeup. Most of the Pennsylvanian corals come from the overlying Conemaugh, especially limestones like the Ames. 

Meanwhile, the Maxville sounds like the Ohio equivalent to the Greenbrier Group, where corals (and bryozoans) are locally abundant and diverse. 

There's also the fact that this outcrop is in the north of Ohio, and it sounds like the Mississippian Maxville and Cuyahoga are named after locations in northern Ohio.