Wondering what this fossil online is and if it's real

mattbsharks

I found this online for sale and I haven't seen anything like this. Does anyone know what type of dinosaur this is or if it is even real. It makes me suspicious what with all of the posts I've seen about fakes. It measures about 9 inches. The seller does say that the rock has been repaired.

IMG_1224.PNG

IMG_1225.PNG

IMG_1226.PNG

IMG_1227.PNG

This is not a dinosaur. 

It is Keichosaurus, a marine nothosaur from the Triassic. 

Many of these come out of China but many are faked. 

i am biased as  am always suspicious, but the head of this one particularly looks odd. 

I would say fake, but lets see what others with more knowledge say. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

The crack through the middle is a good sign, fakes would have covered this up. Looks fine to me, but I’m not experienced in this area.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

2 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

This is not a dinosaur. 

It is Keichosaurus, a marine nothosaur

Thank you! I looked it up and sure enough, you were right. It is incredible! I was skeptical because of how cool it was

1 minute ago, WhodamanHD said:

The crack through the middle is a good sign, fakes would have covered this up. Looks fine to me, but I’m not experienced in this area.

thank you for the input! 

There are several threads that ask the same question in the "Is It Real? How to Recognize Fossil Fabrications" sub forum. 

Do a search there, for Keichousaurus to see what others think.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

This Keichousaurus is a composite. It's real, but there are parts of the head and tail, and perhaps finger that looks painted.

Keich are very common. But the majority of specimens you see out there have some degree of restoration. I'd avoid this, and go for a more natural-looking specimen.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

I agree with Andy most of the fingers look to be painted on. If it is cheep you may be able to get your self a bargain . That is if you don’t mind some painted enhancements. 

I believe this specimen to be "real." e.g. not enhanced. If paint is present, it is easily detected with the fossil in hand and a 10X loupe. Of course, that's no help in making a purchasing judgement via photos. It is a crude (typical) prep. The markings of the rotary wire brush are clearly evident. The unfortunate critter's toesies appear to have fallen partial victim to that heavy-handed method. These are "common" fossils with a seemingly never ending supply. I would consider purchase of this one if it were offered at a very favorable price. Consultation of that famous auction site will readily yield a mean price via a little observation and figuring. Good luck, have fun. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Looks real and pretty typical (poor) prep job. There appears to be 3 composited neck vertebra and the toes of the rear right foot (left side as it sits in the matrix) are carved from the matrix. The rest of the toes appear real. These keichousaurus give a lot of bang for your fossil buck. 

Outright fakes of these are rare. For the money, they are an incredible bargain. Where else could you find a complete (or near complete) triassic marine reptile for $100?

Archived