Trip to Moab

Navajo

If You have time to travel across Utah there is a place west of Delta for cambrian trilobites. It is a rich site and easy to find lots of good fossils.

Look up "U-dig fossils". It is a pay to dig site that is located in the wheeler shale of the House range.

There are some nice "field trip" reports here on the Fossil Forum, that show what is commonly found there.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I don't know where you can collect around Moab, but as you head out of town towards Arches National Park, make a left hand turn on Potash Road and go down about 1- 1 1/2 miles and there is a parking area off to your right where you can see some cool theropod dinosaur tracks. These are just for viewing, no collecting. Also on the same road, as you are making your way back to Moab, look at the walls on your left and in certain areas, about 30' off the ground you will see some nice Native American pictographs. 

You really are going to a great area, there is some great rock climbing and bouldering in the area as well as hiking, white water rafting and mountain biking at a great spot called "Slickrock". I have done all of this and enjoy the area every time that I go out there.

IMG_0076.thumb.JPG.89463a0ab5cc1799b7b12b69c839383e.JPGIMG_0077.thumb.JPG.6bdd660452af2dfaab10d8f002f7f2f7.JPGIMG_0086.thumb.JPG.d1b363cf47eed3d7acbe80ca9298b7bf.JPGIMG_0087.thumb.JPG.41349a974c75d059b0ec44c998258e0b.JPG

Thank you Nimravis, good info, I will do that.

Thanks ynot for that info but will be two days in Moab. Hope next year I can go to Delta

1 hour ago, Nimravis said:

I don't know where you can collect around Moab, but as you head out of town towards Arches National Park, make a left hand turn on Potash Road and go down about 1- 1 1/2 miles and there is a parking area off to your right where you can see some cool theropod dinosaur tracks. These are just for viewing, no collecting. Also on the same road, as you are making your way back to Moab, look at the walls on your left and in certain areas, about 30' off the ground you will see some nice Native American pictographs. 

You really are going to a great area, there is some great rock climbing and bouldering in the area as well as hiking, white water rafting and mountain biking at a great spot called "Slickrock". I have done all of this and enjoy the area every time that I go out there.

IMG_0076.thumb.JPG.89463a0ab5cc1799b7b12b69c839383e.JPGIMG_0077.thumb.JPG.6bdd660452af2dfaab10d8f002f7f2f7.JPGIMG_0086.thumb.JPG.d1b363cf47eed3d7acbe80ca9298b7bf.JPGIMG_0087.thumb.JPG.41349a974c75d059b0ec44c998258e0b.JPG

Great for good pictures, thanks!!

1 hour ago, ynot said:

If You have time to travel across Utah there is a place west of Delta for cambrian trilobites. It is a rich site and easy to find lots of good fossils.

Look up "U-dig fossils". It is a pay to dig site that is located in the wheeler shale of the House range.

There are some nice "field trip" reports here on the Fossil Forum, that show what is commonly found there.

Thanks!! Google the site very interesting. Like trilobites a lot

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2017 at 8:21 PM, Navajo said:

Hello, Im going to Moab, can someone tell me where y can go fossil hunting?

thanks

You have to be very careful around Moab.  There's BLM land all around it - a veritable checkerboard of BLM, private, national park, and state land.  I would go to the Moab Rock Shop and ask someone there.

Archived