Greg.Wood

Sliced and polished nautiloids

Greg.Wood

More from the Etobicoke creek in Mississauga. Ive been slicing and polishing some worn down nautiloid fragments and they look pretty cool.

_16C6408.thumb.JPG.11d8005401f3fe3f2090a8433c5b4dbe.JPG

_16C6411.thumb.JPG.a560de4a84ba99daa903df682ac4e549.JPG_16C6403.thumb.JPG.62531f91390378a6335eb3849acc74d2.JPG_16C6415.thumb.JPG.63df9c719fb9bf9896ea642c6c1e9f2f.JPG_16C6410.thumb.JPG.fc636432ade962c756b72b42adfdca65.JPG_16C6412.thumb.JPG.68f4debc0e3ec78063e14a3e20625549.JPG

Foozil

Thats really cool! Great job :wub:

Ludwigia

Nice work. They sure do make for interesting ornaments.

Tidgy's Dad

Very pretty.

Excellent job. :)

Jeffrey P

Congratulations. Those nautiloids certainly polished up nicely- a sight to behold.

RJB

Thats purdy cool.

RB

Fossildude19

Unusual use of partial specimens! 

Very cool, to boot!  B)

Thanks for posting these. 

Regards,

Monica

Ditto for me - very cool specimens!  I especially like the one where you can see the siphuncle - beautiful!!!

Monica

JUAN EMMANUEL

These are quite interesting. I've collected many Treptoceras orthocones during my time in Etobicoke but I have never managed to do to mine what you did to yours. I have always been interested in the internal structures of these common phragmocones. Can I interest you to do some cutting and polishing with some of my specimens?

Greg.Wood
On 12/3/2017 at 9:09 PM, JUAN EMMANUEL said:

These are quite interesting. I've collected many Treptoceras orthocones during my time in Etobicoke but I have never managed to do to mine what you did to yours. I have always been interested in the internal structures of these common phragmocones. Can I interest you to do some cutting and polishing with some of my specimens?

Hi Juan, its actually quite easy to do on your own. The hardest part is cutting them in half. I used a wet tile saw from Canadian tire (see if you can borrow one or wait to pick one up on sale for ~$50). For polishing you need wet/dry sandpaper and a flat surface to work on. I used 60->220->400->1000 grit then finished with some car polishing compound on a cloth. Make sure the sandpaper is wet.

I wouldn't do this to any nice specimens. They will break sometimes, especially if longer than a couple inches. Let me know if it works out, if not send me a message and I wouldn't mind doing a couple for you.