A good first day Peace River

Shellseeker

This is late for me but I have been distracted with other issues.  Basically on my 1st real hunting day, I had low expectations. A lot of prospecting, deeper water, etc.  But this was a good day. Lots of small quality shark teeth, 3 decent lower hemis and a ALMOST unbroken Meg.  I may go back to this spot.

MegHemiMed2.JPG.29b96e1fdb95b47da85eec8ca75b3fad.JPGIMG_5538lg.thumb.JPG.ac32b3d2663e721d95942885354286cf.JPG

I thought these are modern wild pig and broken capybara incisor.

IMG_5541.thumb.jpg.6f6f3ec1fac9db16fba713d2bdf70083.jpg

But my find of the day was almost fantastic

IMG_5547lg.thumb.JPG.7c5b7aa84740519df8988667ed02e3ae.JPG

As it flipped into the sieve , I thought whale or tusk, but it turns out to be bone.  About the best complete dugong rib I have ever found and it had to be a very small animal. So analysis requested.  Is it complete? Another photo of the "end"   Thanks to all.  Jack

IMG_5546lg.thumb.jpg.4bdd45a3a8a816f71d2aaf13d605282f.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Awesome haul!:envy:

is that a giant thresher in the bin?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Glad you got out Jack, good luck :fistbump: that would’ve been a nice little meg

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Thresher ?  I know I did not miss one.  I have found so few..One a year ago..

And this one, my first in January 2013. They are super rare in the Peace River.

Thresher.JPG.369ca3420b7a03dd154246037f6903db.JPG

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

1 hour ago, Shellseeker said:

Thresher ?  I know I did not miss one.  I have found so few..One a year ago..

And this one, my first in January 2013. They are super rare in the Peace River.

Thresher.JPG.369ca3420b7a03dd154246037f6903db.JPG

Wow Jack, didn’t even notice that! Suddenly some items on my bucket list got shuffled lol. Didn’t know we found them here:fistbump:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Looks like a good day, how deep was the average, waist deep? I am up to my waist, but no current as I am not in the river. Nothing to contend with but a 7ft gator, that seem quite intent on staying in "my" honey hole! lol

Also, the meg looks almost indentical to the one I found yesterday, tiny little fellas! Good finds SS! Heres to a great season!

P1010118.JPG

I've been there and sifted near the first bend south of the bridge but have been too scared of the extant local fauna to venture too far away from the well trod areas. Nice finds!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

This one was the one I thought was a serrated thresher, but I’m not great with sharks teeth.  I suppose it’s actually a galeocardo with the serrations worn off on one side?

B15EC60D-36F1-413D-809A-B1905BF271F7.jpeg

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

7 hours ago, Peace river rat said:

Looks like a good day, how deep was the average, waist deep? I am up to my waist, but no current as I am not in the river. Nothing to contend with but a 7ft gator, that seem quite intent on staying in "my" honey hole! lol

Also, the meg looks almost indentical to the one I found yesterday, tiny little fellas! Good finds SS! Heres to a great season!

The "average' is likely 6  feet. I had to still close to the banks to stay in waist deep water.. Trick is then to find gravel. Nice cowshark.  I have only ever found uppers in the Peace.

post-2220-0-86025300-1357393976_thumb.jpg.5bd8f3f2fbb5b0c3b856a85f7724fc48.jpg

6 hours ago, Shamalama said:

I've been there and sifted near the first bend south of the bridge but have been too scared of the extant local fauna to venture too far away from the well trod areas. Nice finds!

Two BIG gators on my trip back to the bridge.  Not a lot of people around, so they are still around. Saving grace is the coolness, they look a little lethargic.

6 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

This one was the one I thought was a serrated thresher, but I’m not great with sharks teeth.  I suppose it’s actually a galeocardo with the serrations worn off on one side?

B15EC60D-36F1-413D-809A-B1905BF271F7.jpeg

Tiger, me thinks... but a pretty nice one. 

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, Shellseeker said:

The "average' is likely 6  feet. I had to still close to the banks to stay in waist deep water.. Trick is then to find gravel. Nice cowshark.  I have only ever found uppers in the Peace.

post-2220-0-86025300-1357393976_thumb.jpg.5bd8f3f2fbb5b0c3b856a85f7724fc48.jpg

Two BIG gators on my trip back to the bridge.  Not a lot of people around, so they are still around. Saving grace is the coolness, they look a little lethargic.

Tiger, me thinks... but a pretty nice one. 

My "buddy" and I have been hanging out, two weeks, He looks to be a 7 footer. I like to think we have an agreement. He/she stays in it's corner of the pond, I don't get any closer than a 100 ft.

As long as it is sunning or at least, visible, I feel ok.

Been hitting it hard, lately. Wife had a stroke and has been in rehab, she comes home tomorrow. Not sure how often I will be able to get out, this season, hence my obsessive digging, these last weeks.

Glad you had a good hunt! SS! I would be happy with that, any day!  

PS, you look cold in that avatar pic!

I just knew that Jack would be one of the first to get back into the river this season. Be careful out there!

If you can dig out the suspected Alopias (Thresher Shark) tooth from your pile of teeth, it would be worth a close-up photo. The only Alopias I've found (that I know of) came from Cookiecutter Creek. I really need to go through my bowl of larger shark teeth from the Peace River and see if any are hiding in there among the other species.

Cabybara is still on my Peace River bucket list--maybe this will be the year.

Looking forward to dipping a sifter in the Peace real soon now.

Cheers.

-Ken