This is how realistic a fake/replica Oviraptor egg looks

-Andy-

First up, the seller of this egg stated upfront this is a replica, so this isn't a scam warning.

Here, we have an oviraptor egg that could fool even experienced collectors. It looks realistic because it's made out of real oviraptor eggshells. It's even covered with a coating of matrix. This is common practice; I've seen hadrosaur eggs are faked this way, with plaster mixed in to make the egg seem round and heavy.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.45b6f4118ab873fb3c3846b7d26323c5.jpg5a0d7d5d91ec7_s-l1600(2).thumb.jpg.1550d2b041eca030de57356969912f94.jpg5a0d7d5b75f25_s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.385ef20740a2299543c9b279d3e438b9.jpg

For reference, here's a real Oviraptor (Elongatoolithus sp.) that's been professionally prepped. Oviraptor eggs are commonly faked, so four ways to get a real one is:

1) Get a prepped one, preferably with matrix removed. The eggshell should be black

2) Avoid eggs that are perfect. Real eggs have cracks, and sometimes missing entire chunks of shells.

3) Get one without a matrix base. This isn't a sure-fire method, but I've noticed many fake oviraptor eggs have matrix bases, whereas I can't say the same of those free of matrix. Perhaps the fake eggs require a matrix base for support during their construction process.

4) Price. Again, this is arguable, but the real Oviraptor eggs I've seen often comes with price tag several times that of dubious ones. Having sent some eggs for prepping in the past, this is justified because the cost and time of prepping may cost more than the actual egg. Some scammers like to lure people in with bargain prices.

Egg_2_Oviraptor.thumb.jpg.92de18fd5f5a7584ae19ad994bab192c.jpgEgg_2_Oviraptor2.jpg.f53786018c31735ea44088628d74a60d.jpg

Chinese eggs flood the market, and for many collectors, a dinosaur egg is a must-have. There are more fakes than there are real ones, so take extra care if you seek to buy one. As always, if you're unsure, post pictures here and we will try to help.

• I found this Informative 22

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

This would have been an excellent test for everyone to comment on, definitely a good fake.  Just points out how careful you need to be and attention to detail is a must..   For example, features like how the ornamentation of the broken shell fit together in both color and pattern.   Anything that looks slightly off should be avoided.  Also another flag that has been stated many times by others is to avoid Asian sellers, just too risky.  

• I found this Informative 2

Good and informative thread. Though shouldn't this be in the "is it real?" subforum?

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Wouldn't it be ironic if the fakers were reading these threads to improve their methods?:headscratch:

Other than the previously mentioned irregularities, the thing that stands out to Me is the curvature of the shell fragments do not match their position on the egg. (especially on the end.)

• I found this Informative 3

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

This could easily fool most collectors!  Thanks for pointing it out .  Hopefully @ynot is wrong with the fakers reading our threads and guides on fake eggs!

• 3 years later...

Honestly I might be happier with a well done replica. It is possible to make extremely good molds of real fossils and cast them in a variety of materials that will be more durable than the original. Museums and universities make copies all the time. 

On 17/12/2020 at 5:17 PM, Fabien-0605 said:

Hello,

what do you Think avoir this 2 eggs?

true eggs?

do you have an idea of quotation ?

Best regards

FG

We don't do quotation for fossil values here.

It's easier if you start a new thread with more pics. Just showing 1 pic each isn't enough for us to judge if the eggs are real

• I found this Informative 1

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!