Another interesting GMR fossil

Joyce

Good morning everyone! 

I have another interesting fossil that I've been researching to identify and I'm stumped. My first thought was turtle but I can't seem to match the part to anything in the anatomy. I apologize for no scale in the photo but it's 2.5" long and just over 1" wide at its widest point. Thanks for the info!!

20171112_123507.jpg

20171112_123510.jpg

20171112_123515.jpg

20171112_123523.jpg

In addition, this came directly from the green clay/quartz layer.

@Joyce

You are obviously spending far too much time in a dirty stream in G'ville AND you never invite us along for the fun and excitement. :P

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

That is a strange find, maybe it’s a very strange iron concretion?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

21 hours ago, Joyce said:

:rofl:

Last I heard you were galavanting around Florida!;)

We did not get to go to FL since Mrs.SA2 is still recovering from her bad fall in Elizabethtown at the end of Sept. She's still restricted at PT to ROM only and it will be another 4 weeks before she can start doing any kind of strengthening or weighted exercises.

CY's other boat capt. used our truck and boat to run the trip with @MikeR.

On the bright side, I have been able to get Mrs.SA2 out a couple of times this month along the beach north of us.

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

I have a couple of these from GMR I've found as well, they are bone (or at least NOT iron lag or rock given I broke one open and it's porous like bone) but I have been unable to identify what type or part of bone they may be. 

Thanks @AshHendrick. I knew it wasn't iron because I can see small areas of porousness. The end the way it is it looks like a jointed area. ie. Where legs, flippers, toes, wrist bones may come together. I have something that looks similar in texture I found last year and it's a large curved thin piece. Haven't been able to get that identified either. With the pattern on it, you'd think it'd be more discernable.

1 hour ago, SailingAlongToo said:

We did not get to go to FL since Mrs.SA2 is still recovering from her bad fall in Elizabethtown at the end of Sept. She's still restricted at PT to ROM only and it will be another 4 weeks before she can start doing any kind of strengthening or weighted exercises.

CY's other boat capt. used our truck and boat to run the trip with @MikeR.

On the bright side, I have been able to get Mrs.SA2 out a couple of times this month along the beach north of us.

I told you it wasn't nice to push people down even if it's a good fossil now. Send her my wishes for a super speedy recovery. Short walks will definitely build her stregth back up.

Did Hottie go down too? Looked like a blast.