Video of my son Mel’s Fossil Collection

MarcoSr

If you have a couple of hours you might check out the below YouTube video of my son Mel’s fossil collection.  It really is worth the time.  The end of the video also has some of my son Marco’s collection. There maybe a YouTube advertisement in the beginning that you can skip after a few seconds.

Let me know what you think of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aNgZnEaTDY&feature=youtu.be

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

I didn’t watch the whole video, but a slipped through it and of course of been on the phat fossils website numerous times. Quite an impressive collection y’all got there, could be a museum unto itself (hows ‘Mel and Marco’s Museum’ sound?:P).

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I watched the video until I was called to dinner for the third time. Exquisite fossils!!! But hearing your son tell of his finds was more impressive than the specimens themselves. The love and passion for his collection comes through very clear. He remembers wonderful details that make me feel I was with him when he found his prizes. Hope to continue the video soon. Suggest for others to partake in this presentation. Very enjoyable except for the ugly toes coming down the steps. Did those come from your side of the family or your wife's??. LOL

45 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

I didn’t watch the whole video, but a slipped through it and of course of been on the phat fossils website numerous times. Quite an impressive collection y’all got there, could be a museum unto itself (hows ‘Mel and Marco’s Museum’ sound?:P).

Thank you.  My sons do want to open a small museum at some point.  They would probably put it on their M&M (Mel & Marco) Ranch in Nebraska.

Marco Sr.

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

5 minutes ago, MarcoSr said:

Thank you.  My sons do want to open a small museum at some point.  They would probably put it on their M&M (Mel & Marco) Ranch in Nebraska.

Marco Sr.

Be sure to let us know when that opens, I know I’ll pay it a visit!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

48 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

I watched the video until I was called to dinner for the third time. Exquisite fossils!!! But hearing your son tell of his finds was more impressive than the specimens themselves. The love and passion for his collection comes through very clear. He remembers wonderful details that make me feel I was with him when he found his prizes. Hope to continue the video soon. Suggest for others to partake in this presentation. Very enjoyable except for the ugly toes coming down the steps. Did those come from your side of the family or your wife's??. LOL

Thank you.  Our whole family has a love and passion for fossil collecting.

If you ever get to the end of the video you'll actually see one of my fossils.  It is in the queue to get prepped.  Probably number 1,000.

The whole family has ugly toes from years of wearing waders or steel toed shoes on fossil hunts.  We easily fossil collect a 100+ days a year.

Marco Sr.

Actually his toes are fine. They would show up better when filming if he added a little red nail polish.

Very impressive and extremely well organized! If you guys collect for 100+ days a year, then you must use up just as much time prepping them out! What do you do with the last third of the year? :P

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

17 hours ago, MarcoSr said:

If you have a couple of hours you might check out the below YouTube video of my son Mel’s fossil collection.  It really is worth the time.  The end of the video also has some of my son Marco’s collection. There maybe a YouTube advertisement in the beginning that you can skip after a few seconds.

Let me know what you think of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aNgZnEaTDY&feature=youtu.be

Marco Sr.

@MarcoSr

It is a VERY impressive collection. In late Sept. we (Mrs.SA2, CY, @Daleksec and I) had the privilege of a guided, personal tour through their basement, and he even let us touch and hold a few things. :)  I was enamored with all the teeth, especially the drawers full of meg lineage and hastalis teeth that he still remembers every detail about. Though, my favorite is the sabre tooth cat from M&M Ranch. Predator fossils are always cool to find and display.

Hopefully, we will add some more stuff to their and your collections next month. By the way, from what little bit we saw, your collection isn't too shabby either. :wub:  That huge transitional Otodus you showed us is phenomenal. Mrs.SA2 needs to find me one of those in 2018!!!

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

13 hours ago, Foozil said:

Great video, I watched it weeks ago though :D 

Mel posted the YouTube video several weeks ago.  However I didn't watch it until yesterday.  After seeing it I thought TFF members might find it interesting so I made this post.

Marco Sr.

7 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Very impressive and extremely well organized! If you guys collect for 100+ days a year, then you must use up just as much time prepping them out! What do you do with the last third of the year? :P

Thank you.  I'm retired.  When I'm not in the field collecting, I'm searching micro matrix at home.  I don't prep much because I just don't have the patience,  We have a prepper that we use a lot.  But my sons like to prep some specimens themselves.  However, as you can see in the video with all the jacketed specimens already in the prep queue, that my sons have years of prep work already in the queue and they are continually finding new specimens. 

Marco Sr.

1 hour ago, SailingAlongToo said:

@MarcoSr

It is a VERY impressive collection. In late Sept. we (Mrs.SA2, CY, @Daleksec and I) had the privilege of a guided, personal tour through their basement, and he even let us touch and hold a few things. :)  I was enamored with all the teeth, especially the drawers full of meg lineage and hastalis teeth that he still remembers every detail about. Though, my favorite is the sabre tooth cat from M&M Ranch. Predator fossils are always cool to find and display.

Hopefully, we will add some more stuff to their and your collections next month. By the way, from what little bit we saw, your collection isn't too shabby either. :wub:  That huge transitional Otodus you showed us is phenomenal. Mrs.SA2 needs to find me one of those in 2018!!!

Jack

My sons collect all the big stuff and occasionally some small stuff.  I collect all the small stuff and occasionally some big stuff.  Together our collections pretty much contain all the vertebrate specimens that can be found from the sites we collect.

Marco Sr.

• 2 weeks later...

Funny thing, i'm already subscribed to his youtube channel from the meg hunting videos. That's a crazy collection though wow.

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

6 hours ago, LiamL said:

Funny thing, i'm already subscribed to his youtube channel from the meg hunting videos. That's a crazy collection though wow.

Mel probably has the best personally collected meg collection from the Maryland/Virginia area of anyone else that I'm aware of.  There can be 50 collectors in an area and he seems to be the one collector who finds the nice meg.  I wish I was that good.  I couldn't find a nice meg in meg heaven.

Marco Sr.

• 5 weeks later...
5 hours ago, sharko69 said:

Incredible video. Watched it from beginning to end. Mind blown! Thank you for sharing that.

Thank you.  Mel has many years of collecting experience.  We would go fossil collecting many years ago as a family (me, my wife, Marco Jr. and Mel) when Mel was in diapers.  He continued to collect and is now 38.

Marco Sr.

Just absolutely amazing material/collections. The periotic and bulla material struck me really hard. As for the teeth and jaws, bones and unprepped stuff and what might be out west that we didnt see...oh my, just mind blowing...

Thanks for sharing the link...I wish I could have somehow got my kids and wife involved in this crazy passion---just didnt happen..am envious. Congrats! 

Regards, Chris 

23 hours ago, Plantguy said:

Just absolutely amazing material/collections. The periotic and bulla material struck me really hard. As for the teeth and jaws, bones and unprepped stuff and what might be out west that we didnt see...oh my, just mind blowing...

Thanks for sharing the link...I wish I could have somehow got my kids and wife involved in this crazy passion---just didnt happen..am envious. Congrats! 

Regards, Chris 

Chris

Both of my sons still fossil collect extensively.  It is really great that we have a love for fossil collecting in common.  My wife really wasn't that interested but went with me when our sons were really young.  When she felt comfortable with them going with me as they got older, she stopped going. I wish she had stayed interested but it didn't happen.  However she at least understands how important fossil collecting is to us and puts up with all the craziness associated with it.

Marco Sr.

Great stuff.  I enjoy seeing how different everyones’ collections are.  Each of us attacks from a different angle, and no two collections are the same.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

4 hours ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

Great stuff.  I enjoy seeing how different everyones’ collections are.  Each of us attacks from a different angle, and no two collections are the same.

Thank you.  Where we live can really determine our interests and what fossils we can find.  There are so many fossil types that I have yet to collect or collected sparsely.

Marco Sr.

2 hours ago, MarcoSr said:

Thank you.  Where we live can really determine our interests and what fossils we can find.  There are so many fossil types that I have yet to collect or collected sparsely.

Marco Sr.

True on residence shaping collecting habits.  And willingness to travel also plays a part.  I probably drive 20,000 miles a year just to collect variety.  15 years in, I still specialize in nothing in depth; I guess I’m a generalist for life, and that suits me fine.  Prevents burnout.

Grüße,

19 hours ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

15 years in, I still specialize in nothing in depth; I guess I’m a generalist for life,

:headscratch: I bet You specialize in "self collected" in great depth, eh?:hearty-laugh:

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

6 hours ago, ynot said:

:headscratch: I bet You specialize in "self collected" in great depth, eh?:hearty-laugh:

Indeed!  Sweat equity earns a fossil display space at my house.  Purchases are few.

Grüße,

Archived